Chimney cleaning/baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
Hey guys. Quick question. Just order a sooteater. We have a regency freestanding stove and the chimney cleaning seems pretty straight forward. I’m going to remove the black double wall pipe and clean it outside. The question is during a clean do you clean or do anything to the baffle/air tube assembly? The regency has 2 bricks that sit on the airtubes. Looks pretty clean in there so just wondering. Thanks!!

Not unless it needs to be vacuumed

I have a sooteater and have only used it once, so I'm by no means an expert. But as I understand it, the sooteater is designed to clean all the pipe without disassembly, from inside the stove. The stove helps to contain any gunt that falls out. In my case the pipes and baffle need to be removed, so they get cleaned while they're out.

Reactions: blacktail
I would remove a couple tubes, lower the baffle and run the sooteater without removing the pipe. Ash will accumulate on top of the baffle and needs swept out when the chimney is cleaned.

Hey guys. Quick question. Just order a sooteater. We have a regency freestanding stove and the chimney cleaning seems pretty straight forward. I’m going to remove the black double wall pipe and clean it outside. The question is during a clean do you clean or do anything to the baffle/air tube assembly? The regency has 2 bricks that sit on the airtubes. Looks pretty clean in there so just wondering. Thanks!!
Is your chimney above the stove or does it go out through the wall then up?

No need to remove the tubes. Just the baffle boards. The rods will fit between the tubes If u do it from the stove up.

Reactions: blacktail
No need to remove the tubes. Just the baffle boards. The rods will fit between the tubes If u do it from the stove up.
Many regencies require removing a tube to pull the baffles. It depends upon the model. Regardless regency tubes are really easy to remove

Reactions: webby3650
Just curious. How do u remove them? Don’t see it in my manual. I2400
A set of curved jaw vise grips clamped on the tube. Hit the side of the vise grips pushing the tube to the left with a dead blow hammer.