Chimney cleaning with a rear vent wood stove and T cleanout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kvesi122

Nov 20, 2018
Worcester County Mass
Happy Holidays, Everyone!

Quick question and pardon the lack of my google-fu. If you're running a rear vent wood stove (Dovre Cape Cod ~Isle Royale minus top load) and a T cleanout about 2 ft back, do you need to remove the baffles and whatnot if you're cleaning the chimney or can you open up the cleanout and run all the crud straight down and out?

Thank you

Last edited:
Remove the cleanout tee cap and tape a bag around it. Then clean away.

Since that’s a top loading stove, nothing would need removed in the stove. You will need to run the broom through the horizontal section of pipe though. If the roof is accessible, I’d sweep everything down into the tee, the carefully remove the tee cap while running my vacuum.

Awesome! Thank you all for the prompt answers. The stove is a Dovre Cape Cod which is the Isle Royal minus the top load feature. I'll correct the top post but I figured it was a fairly obscure stove.

Attach the bag very good or else you'll have a mess to clean up. Dont ask why I know this.

Reactions: Connecticut Yankee