chimney connector

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I need to learn as much as possible about chimney connector pipe in the next two hours, before the next installer gets here to quote my liner setup.

1. How does a stove pipe connect to the liner at the block-off plate? Seems to me the liner is above the block-off plate, and the stove pipe is below, but how is the connection made?

2. How does one get their stovepipe at the right length? Seems there's a very fixed distance between the bottom of the liner / block-off plate, and the top of the stove. Do you custom order stove pipe to match this length, after installing the liner and setting the stove?

3. Are there standard clearances for protected and unprotected cumbustables, to single-wall and double-wall stovepipe? The old Jotul 12 manual is less clear than most of the newer manuals I've seen. My clearance is only 17" to the wood lintel, which will have a heat shield, as shown in the attached drawing.

Thanks!

den_fireplace_Jotul12_stovepipe_clearance.jpg
(click to enlarge)

I can't help you too much, but concerning number three, I believe the clearance for single wall is 18". With a sheet metal shield spaced an inch off of the combustibles, that can be reduced by 2/3. I think you'll be fine with single wall.

If you used double wall, you probably wouldn't need the shield, but that depends on the stove's specs for clearance to mantel.

P.S. for number 2, you can cut single wall to your desired length and I believe double wall is available in telescoping sections.

I can't help you too much, but concerning number three, I believe the clearance for single wall is 18". With a sheet metal shield spaced an inch off of the combustibles, that can be reduced by 2/3. I think you'll be fine with single wall.

If you used double wall, you probably wouldn't need the shield, but that depends on the stove's specs for clearance to mantel.

Thanks! I need the shield to meet the top/front clearance of the stove (w/o sheild requires 36", and I only have 31"). The way I have the shield planned, with the typical 1" air gap, it ends a bit short of completely protecting the wood from the stovepoint at the top edge. That's because I designed it with protection from the stove in mind, not considering the chimney. Would I have to extend the shield a bit higher if going with single wall? That might be more difficult than it looks in the drawing.

Thanks again.

Would I have to extend the shield a bit higher if going with single wall?

Technically, I think you would. It actuality, I doubt that 0.8" (4.5%) less clearance than is recommended is ever going to cause a problem, but it is usually best to err on the side of caution. To be on the safe side, it is probably worth extending the shield in front of the pipe or putting a small piece of stove pipe shield on the part of the single wall that gets too close to the wood.

9562-e92cdce9a49024a0f017d8af027595c1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.