Q&A Chimney fire- What is the result?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I live in a newer house with a Brick fireplace and chimney. It meets all local codes. If I had a chimney fire what disaster could happen and after the fire would all the creosote be burned out?

Answer:

Chimney fires can be small and go virtually undetected, or they can be huge and very noticeable. Common wisdom says that you want to try to avoid a chimney fire. A good size chimney fire in a masonry chimney would likely break the flue tile liners inside and render it useless without major repair costs. Under very extreme conditions, the heat could spread to ceiling joists and or roof rafters, which could catch fire.

My general advice is to avoid a chimney fire. There is an excellent product on the market called "Chimfex" which will help snuff out chimney fires. The Chimfex is built similar to a flare and suppresses the fire by filling up the chimney with a mixture of gases that smother the flame of the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.