Chimney flashing for corrugated roofs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point in the not too distant future I shall have to pass my prefab chimney through my corrugated metal roof. The local stove shop sells a part for this at $200. All it is is a piece of aluminum with an E.PD.M top and a cut to size silicone boot with a clamp to cinch it to the chimney. Their typical stove installation costs $750...YUP. and I was informed that they don't even put the chimney flashing under the existing roof. They just rely on lots of silicone caulking. As an ex carpenter and engineer I have done 56 roofs in my 30 years as a design builder, and would never think of putting anything on a roof that didn't have the proper watershed propities. Meaning that the chimney flashing should go under the roofing above it. Sure some sealant is necessary but the thought of placing a fixture on 3 on 12 pitched roof is certainly the wrong way to go. If it were all E.P.D.M. i could see this procedure as the only way out, but the roof is metal

W.W. Grainger sells a similar product for $130, but the rubber is E.P.D.M. instead of silicone. None-the-less any product i use will have to contact my prefab chimney. The grainger product is specified for heating equipment and I do have an account there. Can anyone tell me whether E.P.D.M. with stand up to the heat given off by a HT stainless chimney pipe?

ICC Excell has a flex flashing that may work.

The flexible base flashing combines a stainless steel cone with a flexible lead base which can be easily formed on site to match virtually any roof profile. It was designed for masonry tile roofs but can be used wherever a flexible base is required.

http://www.icc-rsf.com/main.php?t=chem_produits&i=96&l=e&d=2&

Attachments

• flex flashing.jpg
    flex flashing.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,042
Status
Not open for further replies.