chimney gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

george2c

Dec 1, 2011
SWPA
Hi guys, I need a bit of help, We have a stone cabin with a stone cased tile chimney. At the top it is pulling away maybe an inch at best. 10 foot lower on the porch may a quarter of an inch. I want to fill this gap with something. What would you use? Do they make morter colored cocking? Thanks a lot for any help.

Post some pictures we may be able to help you more. Your best bet would probably be to use flashing or trim to cover the gap. Caulk will not holf up well mortar will probably crack and fall out. And you also need to determine what is going on was it old settling and it has stopped moving? Is it still moving and if so is the house moving or is the chimney. And by the way your chimney is supposed to have a 1" gap there anyway but if it is not even it was probably not done that way on purpose in order to meet code.

Yea I think just the foundation settling. It has been that way and hasn't moved anymore in the last few years. I just don't want water getting in there.

Flash it or cover it with trim i would not recommend caulk or mortar

How tall is the chimney? My neighbor's house had a brick chimney running up the outside of a wall that was pulling away from the house like you described. In his case it wasn't a chimney for a fireplace, but rather for a furnace. I was able to attach a metal band around the chimney (made for anchoring mobile homes) to some framing of the house with lag bolts and when I took out the slack by tightening the bolts into the framing I was able to pull the chimney back up against the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.