Chimney height questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
First question, I’m installing a through the wall class A setup for my hearthstone GM40. The manual doesn’t have much info on chimney specs. Does chimney height include my stove connector pipe? Or does it start where my class A starts?

Second question, I have six 48 inch sections….using 5 sections will get me 2-10-3 rule compliant. However Will 20 feet of class A be a proper height for a 90 coming off the stove, an 18’ piece going through the wall, and a T with clean out?

Or should I throw the sixth 48’ section on and exceed the 2-10-3 rule but get a potentially better drafting chimney?

Or should I exchange the unused piece for a shorter length and run that?

Let me know if I’m over thinking it!

With the problems people have been having I would opt for extra height for stronger draft plus a key damper now or later if you need to reign it in.

Reactions: Rob_Red
Another bit of info… the old chimney was about the same height as I would get with my Five 48’ sections. It was a cracked up clay lined cement block build and it actually drafted just fine. I haven’t had any of the previously mentioned Green Mountain issues.

I didn’t have any operational issues with the stove with the old setup (just a really out of code chimney)

I’m maybe 30- 50 feet above sea level, and I’m up on a hill with nothing impeding the wind.

The vertical gain of the stovepipe is included in the overall flue system height. So if there is 4 ft of stovepipe before the 90 then I'd probably try it out with the 20' of chimney and see how it drafts in say 40º October weather. If good, then it will be great below freezing.

Reactions: Rob_Red