chimney height vs creosote question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
Greetings, I have read other recent threads concerning Stage 3 creosote so here is my concern.

I have a 70 year stone house with a tall (+30') chimney, ceramic flue, that services both the Oil furnace, (seperate flue) and the main floor fireplace. I have inherited a very nice R14 Regency insert that I would like to install for next season but am concerned about the height and creosote build up around the upper sections of the chimney. The install will have 6" SS flex x approx 35' feet direct into the R14. I will have very good seasoned hardwood= maple, beech,ash, some birch. My questions are:
Can I control this potential creosote safely with proper burning, maintenance, chemicals?
Am I too worried about this?
Is there such a thing as too tall of a chimney? I have a decent Westerly wind on a regular basis.

I have a sun porch on the south end of the house that I might just install a small freestanding stove in, through the rafters, chimney height would only be 16', but then I would have to buy another stove $$$.
What do you think??

I am not a stranger to woodburning, but the creosote thing is a bit bothersome , any advice, tips would be great,
Thanks.

Good wood and proper burning are the keys. If there is room in the clay tile for insulation, I would consider insulating the liner so that it runs warmer. I would avoid small stoves. The #1 problem is too small a stove choked down too much trying to achieve long overnight burns. A chimney needs to have its needs met, namely enough heat and flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.