Chimney leaks and fixing the leak... properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbrothgeb

Jan 1, 2019
Northeast Indiana
Hi, I'm new to this so bear with me if I use the wrong terminology or ask an 'easy' question. We purchased a log home last spring (built in 1989), it has a wood burning stove and previous owners said that it cleaned and inspected before house went on the market (summer 2017). This winter we have been using it on a 'weekend' basis, but have noticed that it leaks a little when it rains heavily. It rained all day yesterday and dripped around the chimney box (we have a type 3 based on https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-basics-on-how-to-install-a-wood-burning-stove.147798/) and about 10pm several pieces of slate fell off of the chimney box due to water intrusion. I believe these are just decorative. On the roof there is a 'tarred' section around the chimney that seems excessively large. I know that I'm going to have to tear that up to get to the leak, but is there a step by step guide on how it is supposed to be when putting it all back together? I have pics and can post if needed. Thanks, Tim

Hi, I'm new to this so bear with me if I use the wrong terminology or ask an 'easy' question. We purchased a log home last spring (built in 1989), it has a wood burning stove and previous owners said that it cleaned and inspected before house went on the market (summer 2017). This winter we have been using it on a 'weekend' basis, but have noticed that it leaks a little when it rains heavily. It rained all day yesterday and dripped around the chimney box (we have a type 3 based on https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-basics-on-how-to-install-a-wood-burning-stove.147798/) and about 10pm several pieces of slate fell off of the chimney box due to water intrusion. I believe these are just decorative. On the roof there is a 'tarred' section around the chimney that seems excessively large. I know that I'm going to have to tear that up to get to the leak, but is there a step by step guide on how it is supposed to be when putting it all back together? I have pics and can post if needed. Thanks, Tim
We would need some pics so we can understand the situation

We would need some pics so we can understand the situation
First two pics are of the chimney box inside the house where the slate as fallen away. The second two are of the roof outside - the side to the right is above where the slate fell away and where we see most of the drips. Please let me know if there is a particular pic you want to see

Attachments

• 20181231_203354.jpg
    20181231_203354.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 20181231_203432.jpg
    20181231_203432.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 337
  • 20190101_120456.jpg
    20190101_120456.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 20190101_120510.jpg
    20190101_120510.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 323
First two pics are of the chimney box inside the house where the slate as fallen away. The second two are of the roof outside - the side to the right is above where the slate fell away and where we see most of the drips. Please let me know if there is a particular pic you want to see
Get some shigles that match fairly well then pull all of the shingles in that area and redo the whole thing. You may need new flashing as well. Someone made a real mess of that.

Get some shigles that match fairly well then pull all of the shingles in that area and redo the whole thing. You may need new flashing as well. Someone made a real mess of that.
That is what I was thinking too. I think I seen an extra stack of shingles in the attic over the garage. I'm hoping that the roof around the chimney is not rotted out as well.

What are your thoughts on the slate that fell down on the inside? Is the slate for heat protection or just decoration?

What are your thoughts on the slate that fell down on the inside? Is the slate for heat protection or just decoration?
Just decoration

I’ve never seen anyone use stone around a ceiling box like that. Weird.
Unfortunately we’ve seen a lot of installs like this, with the flashing on top of the shingles. They are always problematic, and very uncraftsmanlike. The flashing should be reusable, if not it came from a big box store, likely menards. It’s a Selkirk Super Vent system. How high is the chimney above the roof? Don’t see roof brace kits on a low pitch like that very often.

I’ve never seen anyone use stone around a ceiling box like that. Weird.
Unfortunately we’ve seen a lot of installs like this, with the flashing on top of the shingles. They are always problematic, and very uncraftsmanlike. The flashing should be reusable, if not it came from a big box store, likely menards. It’s a Selkirk Super Vent system. How high is the chimney above the roof? Don’t see roof brace kits on a low pitch like that very often.

The roof is basically 2 stories up from the ground (over the walk-out basement). It looks like it goes high enough to meet code. The pic I took was from hanging out the dormer window on that level with the roof. Here is a a pic of the whole house
36310253_10156588624244443_7679012401210982400_o.jpg

I see, they ran it up high because of that dormer. Cool looking place!
What stove are you burning?

Follow bholler's advice. Get rid of that old flashing, that is a shitshow job. No roofing cement is needed to install properly. Hopefully they didn't put roofing cement under the flashing base, or it is going to be a mess to get up. Get rid of the cheesy looking stone crap over the ceiling box, and get a proper trim ring.

Why is the class A through the box? And there looks like some caulk or something around it up inside the box where it passes through. Get a proper ceiling support as that looks like it is supporting nothing, and is just a passthrough.

Follow bholler's advice. Get rid of that old flashing, that is a shitshow job. No roofing cement is needed to install properly. Hopefully they didn't put roofing cement under the flashing base, or it is going to be a mess to get up. Get rid of the cheesy looking stone crap over the ceiling box, and get a proper trim ring.

Why is the class A through the box? And there looks like some caulk or something around it up inside the box where it passes through. Get a proper ceiling support as that looks like it is supporting nothing, and is just a passthrough.
That is the proper ceiling support box.

That is the proper ceiling support box.

Hogwildz, I agree the roof looks suspect. I think the box is installed correctly (but won't know until we dig into it). The stone crap is a nice touch if you see the whole area - it matches the stone/slate flooring around the stove.

webby3650, is that a question or statement?

Thanks,

Tim

Hogwildz, I agree the roof looks suspect. I think the box is installed correctly (but won't know until we dig into it). The stone crap is a nice touch if you see the whole area - it matches the stone/slate flooring around the stove.

webby3650, is that a question or statement?

Thanks,

Tim
It’s a statement. No question about it, it’s the proper ceiling support box.
The flashing is installed improperly, no doubt about it. Often times the tar doesn’t stick to the aluminum very well and can be peeled off in big pieces. It may not look the best, but there would be nothing wrong with re using it if you can get it smoothed down. I’d personally just pick up one from menards.