Chimney liner- how hard can it be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Estimates to reline our cracked flue are coming in at $2500-$3000.

Looking at videos from Chimney Depot make it seem not that hard for a relatively handy guy like me, and pieces run about $900.
Mrs. Blue insists doing this job myself will mean death, whether on the roof from falling or on the ground in her clutches.

Other than that, do I need to be talked out of this?

No problem, I am sure it will be easy for any one who has worked with tools and such.

bluedogz said:
Estimates to reline our cracked flue are coming in at $2500-$3000.

Looking at videos from Chimney Depot make it seem not that hard for a relatively handy guy like me, and pieces run about $900.
Mrs. Blue insists doing this job myself will mean death, whether on the roof from falling or on the ground in her clutches.

Other than that, do I need to be talked out of this?

Harness up dogz. Someplace that rents aerial lifts should be able to rent you a harness. With one hand I would make sure I'm covered in case of 'whoops' ......

I lined my 1920's masonry chimney when I put my wood stove in. It is a very easy job. If you are handy and don't mind going up on the roof it is a job that you can do just as good as a pro. I highly recommend getting an insulation kit and wrapping the liner. The insulation will improve draft, decrease creosote build up, and protect your house because of the cracks in your chimney. Tell the misses that having a pro do it will be what results in death, by heart attack while signing the check!

What type of install are you doing? Is it an insert or do you have a thimble to pass stove pipe through to the chimney? Do you have to go through or near combustibles to get your stove exhaust into the chimney?

If getting on the roof is the deal-breaker for the Mrs, then you can rent a man-lift for a lot cheaper than, say, the $1,500 extra you would pay someone to do it.

klustgarten said:
I lined my 1920's masonry chimney when I put my wood stove in. It is a very easy job. If you are handy and don't mind going up on the roof it is a job that you can do just as good as a pro. I highly recommend getting an insulation kit and wrapping the liner. The insulation will improve draft, decrease creosote build up, and protect your house because of the cracks in your chimney. Tell the misses that having a pro do it will be what results in death, by heart attack while signing the check!

What type of install are you doing? Is it an insert or do you have a thimble to pass stove pipe through to the chimney? Do you have to go through or near combustibles to get your stove exhaust into the chimney?

Type of install is yet another thread. I am leaning towards using flex liner but otherwise am undetermined.

Combustibles: chimney is interior for about 8', then exterior for about a further 12' to the roof.

Sweep mentioned a thimble but I haven't stuck my head into the flue yet to see it.

I bought 4 of these roof platform brackets years ago.
I also wear a belt/anchor if I am doing anything that will take any time.

I really like having them and not a bad price

Attachments

• 636007_front500.jpg
    636007_front500.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 283
I just realized what klustgarden was asking... and actually I didn't know what the thimble was...

I have no thimble. The 8" stove pipe is just stuck through a hole bashed in the chimney. Well, the hole is neatly cut but that's about it. According to the sweep it's the blast of super-hot stove air on cold tiles that caused the cracking in the first place.

I'll post photos when I get home.

I just did an install a few weeks ago using Flex pipe from Rockford Chimney. I purchased 6" pipe for what I thought was an 8" flue tile. Turns out it was less than 7" I.D. I didn't think I needed to order a pulling cone, boy was I mistaken! Some of the flue tiles didn't line up properly and a little excess mortar added to the problem. I couldn't get the flex pipe more than 4'/5' into the flue the first attempt! I made up a home-made pulling rig and managed to make things work.

Sounds like I am trying to talk you out of it, but I am not. Just the opposite! With a little planning and an able assistant, you can do it. It's ALMOST as easy as Rockfords video shows. If your clearances are greater than mine, your install will be a snap. I was just trying to point out some potential road bumps you could encounter. If this 64 year old fart can do it, so can you.

Status
Not open for further replies.