Chimney pipe missing liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vkredi

Mar 29, 2020
Atlanta
I moved into a 1975 built house last year but haven’t used my chimney even once. I recently got it checked and had my chimney cap replaced. The fireplace guys had trouble removing the existing cover because it was coated with tar. So they had to hammer it hard as well the steel chimney pipe to remove and replace it. The interior looked fine except the chimney pipe at the top was missing insulation. I’ve attached images. Although the wood surrounding the chimney pipe looked clean, the guys said it was a radiation hazard and could burn up the wood. Also, that they would not do any patchwork to it because of liability. All he said before leaving is that it is not safe to use (wrote it in his receipt summary due to liability reasons he said) and would send a quote to replace the entire chimney.

So, dear experts, can I get my chimney fixed with additional insulation for just the part that’s exposed? Is it now safe to use? Am I really staring at an entire chimney replacement?

Attachments

• 197F5E26-F1A8-4685-A438-03C4E55450B2.jpeg
    197F5E26-F1A8-4685-A438-03C4E55450B2.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 124
  • 241695CE-F949-4F87-A7AF-6CE168ABC142.jpeg
    241695CE-F949-4F87-A7AF-6CE168ABC142.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 132
I moved into a 1975 built house last year but haven’t used my chimney even once. I recently got it checked and had my chimney cap replaced. The fireplace guys had trouble removing the existing cover because it was coated with tar. So they had to hammer it hard as well the steel chimney pipe to remove and replace it. The interior looked fine except the chimney pipe at the top was missing insulation. I’ve attached images. Although the wood surrounding the chimney pipe looked clean, the guys said it was a radiation hazard and could burn up the wood. Also, that they would not do any patchwork to it because of liability. All he said before leaving is that it is not safe to use (wrote it in his receipt summary due to liability reasons he said) and would send a quote to replace the entire chimney.

So, dear experts, can I get my chimney fixed with additional insulation for just the part that’s exposed? Is it now safe to use? Am I really staring at an entire chimney replacement?
Unless you could verify the rest of the chimney was in good shape and installed correctly. And then find a new matching chimney section yes you are looking at a new chimney.

Reactions: vkredi
Unless you could verify the rest of the chimney was in good shape and installed correctly. And then find a new matching chimney section yes you are looking at a new chimney.
Thank you bholler. Could you please expand on "finding a new matching chimney section"? Any tips on how to find it - by size? Also, any idea what (green) material is it that currently surrounds the stainless steel pipe?

Really appreciate your inputs!

Thank you bholler. Could you please expand on "finding a new matching chimney section"? Any tips on how to find it - by size? Also, any idea what (green) material is it that currently surrounds the stainless steel pipe?

Really appreciate your inputs!
You would need to find out what make and model chimney you have and see if that is still available.