Chimney Pipe Questions for Endeavor Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bgsmith

Nov 5, 2022
Bend, OR USA
We have been using an Endeavor wood stove since we bought the home 15 years ago. The prior owners installed the stove so it has been in use for over 2 decades if not longer.

We are replacing the roof and a problem and some slight damage to the existing class a pipe on the roof induced me to make some measurements. It turns out the current pipe (basically straight up through ceiling and roof) has a total lenght of 140 inches from the top of the wood stove. This is well short of the 15 ft minimum in the manual. Draft has more or less been ok, but smoke does leak when adding wood. The length of the pipe above the roof is also slightly less than what the 3-2-10 rule specifies.

Should we add the additional pipe to reach the minimum of 15 ft above the stove top? This would mean adding a 4ft section of pipe as I understand it.

thanks

Is the flue system straight up through the inside of the house? If so, it sounds like 3 ft may suffice. The chimney pipe will need to be braced at 5' above the roof penetration.

Is the flue system straight up through the inside of the house? If so, it sounds like 3 ft may suffice. The chimney pipe will need to be braced at 5' above the roof penetration.

Thanks! I appreciate the response.

The single wall pipe in the house has 2 45 degree elbows with a 14 in section between elbows. Single wall is 6 in pipe matching flue on stove. Pipe above the roof is class a (metalasbestos brand) 8 inch diameter (interior). The existing pipe on the roof is already braced at the top (about 55 inches). Roof pitch is 4/12.

If I add an additional 3 or 4 ft section, the pipe would be too tall to clean without disassembling. But that just adds some time to the annual chore.

To improve the draft, change out the chimney to 6" and the connecting stovepipe to double-wall. That may be sufficient, but it wouldn't hurt to add 2 ft at that point. If the roof is being replaced, this is the time to do it. Very few stoves take 8" flue these days.

To improve the draft, change out the chimney to 6" and the connecting stovepipe to double-wall. That may be sufficient, but it wouldn't hurt to add 2 ft at that point. If the roof is being replaced, this is the time to do it. Very few stoves take 8" flue these days.

Thank you very much