Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Klg321

Apr 26, 2017
Newfoundland
Hi folks,,i recently purchased a new Napoleon 1400 banf wood stove,, I'm replacing an old newmac..my question is.. The new stove has a top flu which is 6in. The double wall insulated going through the cathedral ceiling is 8 in. There are no elbows.. Will the stove draw ok if i use 6in single wall stove pipe from the top of the stove, then joined to 8 in. Double wall insulated that goes through the roof.... Thanks in advance for your help

Welcome. The 8" pipe will slow the flue gases down and the 1400 like good strong draft. What's the distance between the stove top and the chimney cap?

It's approximately 21 ft the first 12 ft will be 6 inch single wall then about 9 ft of 8 inch double wall... Thanks for responding, i appreciate it

That's tall enough that it might work fine.

Last edited:
Yeah I would certainly try it and see how it works. You have enough height I think it will probably work ok