• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just got my 1800 in today! Almost have the old fireplace out... an hour here or there really isn't enough to crack down on getting it ready. But I did get in touch with an inspector whos willing to work with me to get this thing installed and get it done correctly.

Question about the stove though... I've searched the forums and for some reason couldn't find anything on it, but I've seen some people break in their stove outside with a few burns. What would be the best way to break the stove in? Run it outside? Get it all hooked up and get it going? Do a couple of small fires first?

There is no best way. It'll stink, chemical. So that's why some folks put a 4 ft section of pipe on it in the driveway.

But you can do it inside. Keep all doors to the rest of the house closed, open all windows (or two opposite ones, one with a big box fan), and burn. Check the manual; I hope there are instructions on how to do the first few fires. If not, I'd start with a kindling only fire. Let it go out. Then three small (!) splits. Let it go out. Then half a firebox, not ripping, keep it medium. Let it go out. Then a ripping fire.

Each time you hit higher temps it'll stink.

Reactions: RomanW
There is no best way. It'll stink, chemical. So that's why some folks put a 4 ft section of pipe on it in the driveway.

But you can do it inside. Keep all doors to the rest of the house closed, open all windows (or two opposite ones, one with a big box fan), and burn. Check the manual; I hope there are instructions on how to do the first few fires. If not, I'd start with a kindling only fire. Let it go out. Then three small (!) splits. Let it go out. Then half a firebox, not ripping, keep it medium. Let it go out. Then a ripping fire.

Each time you hit higher temps it'll stink.
This is what I figured. Since it's going into the living room, there are no doors to shut it off lol. I may do the 4ft of pipe in the driveway trick first. My wife hates an offensive smells, so to avoid her going into hypochondriac mode and wondering if the kids are going to get cancer from the fumes getting most of it out in the driveway might be a good starting point. Thanks @stoveliker !

Reactions: stoveliker
This is what I figured. Since it's going into the living room, there are no doors to shut it off lol. I may do the 4ft of pipe in the driveway trick first. My wife hates an offensive smells, so to avoid her going into hypochondriac mode and wondering if the kids are going to get cancer from the fumes getting most of it out in the driveway might be a good starting point. Thanks @stoveliker !
It’s going to smell every time it hits a new high temp. It was more hazy thank Smokey. Not a terrible smell but tolerable if you aren’t sensitive

I was chatting with a WETT certified inspector yesterday, and she said going through the inside wall and up the chase is doable. She also said to do what @kennyp2339 said, and board up the previous opening.

With doing that, I'd need an access to the cleanout on the TEE that would be inside the chase now. Has anyone done this? I assume you would need a fairly sizable access door. Also, I'm wondering if I need to put something like a sheet metal "shelf" in there similar to a tray to catch all of the crap that comes out when sweeping the chimney instead of having it fall down to the bottom of the chase?

I'd seal off the inside fireplace permanent and install a cleanout door on the outside of the chase.

Do I need to worry about what drops out of the tee?
Nope- there is a cap that goes on the bottom of the T, its actually nice having a T because when you clean the chimney all the vertical junk will fall to the bottom cap, place a box underneath and pull the cap, mess stays contained (as long as the clean out door is wide enough to fit a box in there.

Nope- there is a cap that goes on the bottom of the T, its actually nice having a T because when you clean the chimney all the vertical junk will fall to the bottom cap, place a box underneath and pull the cap, mess stays contained (as long as the clean out door is wide enough to fit a box in there.
Wow, duh. I should have known that. Good point. Should I try to find one, or just fab a door up and insulate it you think?

Hey everyone, so a little update.

I was chatting with a friend of mine at church on the weekend (He's a Journeyman Carpenter), and after some back and forth, we decided to completely remove the chimney chase, and put the chimney straight up from the stove and out the ceiling. Neither of us liked the idea of having 2 90's and that much horizontal run. Just had the installer out to measure up yesterday (Finally! Apparently, wood stoves and chimneys are on fire this year! Pun intended) and he agreed.

Gonna give the chimney supplier a shout and confirm my chimney order. It's getting close!

It's finally in!

Thank you everyone for your help and insight! Did the install myself, and was super simple having gone straight up!

Special thanks to @begreen @kennyp2339 and @bholler !

Photo 2022-11-14, 7 01 29 PM.jpg

Wonderful! Now, all it needs is FIRE! :ZZZ

• Haha
In full confession I had a fire in it last night. LOL Then regretted it the whole time as I was worried it would light up the fresh silicone. (Which it didn't) Man, this thing puts out some heat!
Where did you use silicone?