Chimney Stucco Peeling? Okay for Wood Stove Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BetterCallMaul

Feb 9, 2017
North Wales, PA
Hi,
I just moved into a new place last year and I'm in the market for a wood-burning stove insert and have been getting some estimates. However, my chimney recently had "stucco" fly off in some high winds. I put stucco in quotes because it looks like stucco but I don't think it should fly off like this.

Will this be a problem if I get a stove and liner or is this cosmetic only? If this is a problem, will this be a high dollar fix? If so, I might have to shelve plans for the stove.

It looks like there's a stucco not really attached to the masonry chimney...I can peel off some of it and then there's the big section that peeled and flew off during some storms.

Any help would be appreciated!

20161212_131758.jpg 20161212_131804.jpg 20161212_131810.jpg 20161212_131813.jpg

You just need a mason to repair the stucco at some point. It's likely getting water in behind it causing it to pop like that. That shouldn't prevent you from getting a stove and insulated liner installed. It would have no affect on it.

Reactions: BetterCallMaul