• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CATCOT

Nov 11, 2020
Virginia
I'm in Alexandria, VA / Washington DC area. I'm buying a new FireplaceX Large Flush Wood Insert from a store in Richmond, because they'll have them in stock in the next week or two. But they can't deliver/ install as it's too far away. I can handle the delivery job, but not the install.

Does anyone know and recommend a CSIA sweep in my area who will be able to install this for me?

I've talked to several in my area - none of them even have knowledge about insulated rigid liners and metal block off plates - they'll only do flex and stuffing.
I'm even getting a wide range of quotes from these guys just for the Fairfax County permit : $500, $250, $150.

Appreciate your help! This is a continuation of my 1st thread:

I'm in Alexandria, VA / Washington DC area. I'm buying a new FireplaceX Large Flush Wood Insert from a store in Richmond, because they'll have them in stock in the next week or two. But they can't deliver/ install as it's too far away. I can handle the delivery job, but not the install.

Does anyone know and recommend a CSIA sweep in my area who will be able to install this for me?

I've talked to several in my area - none of them even have knowledge about insulated rigid liners and metal block off plates - they'll only do flex and stuffing.
I'm even getting a wide range of quotes from these guys just for the Fairfax County permit : $500, $250, $150.

Appreciate your help! This is a continuation of my 1st thread:
I won't do rigid either very few sweeps will because they are a real pita to install with no real benifits over an insulated heavy flex liner. Info wish more would do block off plates they really do.make a big difference in performance

I won't do rigid either very few sweeps will because they are a real pita to install with no real benifits over an insulated heavy flex liner. Info wish more would do block off plates they really do.make a big difference in performance

Oh, well no wonder no one wants to do rigid. And here I thought I learned on this site that rigid was the best installation.

Regarding the metal block off plate, I was told, "Reason being is that manufacturers want that area of the chimney exposed in case of needed maintenance. The block off plate would make troubleshooting simple problems more difficult than they need to be. The only way we would install one is if it were a requirement by the manufacturer of the insert you purchased. ".

Guess I'll have to give in now and go with a regular standard installation of flex liner and no block off plate :(

Oh, well no wonder no one wants to do rigid. And here I thought I learned on this site that rigid was the best installation.

Regarding the metal block off plate, I was told, "Reason being is that manufacturers want that area of the chimney exposed in case of needed maintenance. The block off plate would make troubleshooting simple problems more difficult than they need to be. The only way we would install one is if it were a requirement by the manufacturer of the insert you purchased. ".

Guess I'll have to give in now and go with a regular standard installation of flex liner and no block off plate :(
That excuse is nonsense. I can't think of a single problem that a block off plate would make difficult to troubleshoot. And I have never seen any manufacturer say don't use one

That excuse is nonsense. Infant think of a single problem that a block off plate would make difficult to troubleshoot. And I have never seen any manufacturer say don't use one

Can anyone recommend a good sweep to do a wood insert installation in the Washington, DC area?

Talk to Dan from Nova Fireplace and Stove. Tell him Matt sent ya!

I used him to purchase/install my Regency CI2700 and he did an amazing job and is very professional/does awesome work

localmotion - thanks for the referral to Dan at Nova Fireplace. I spoke to him on the phone and unfortunately he doesn't install inserts unless it's purchased from him :(

I finally talked a highly-rated sweep in the Northern Virginia area to install a metal block-off plate along with my new insert installation, but they've quoted $600 to make a custom block-off plate and install it.

So now, I'm ordering a sheet of ss online and I will fold, bend, drill screw holes, and liner hole
$48 for 304 stainless steel.

bholler or anyone: is 304 ok, or do I need to source 316?

Can anyone recommend a source online to buy good, reasonably-priced insulation that I'll also need to have on hand for the insert installer to stuff above the plate I'll be making? Thank you

localmotion - thanks for the referral to Dan at Nova Fireplace. I spoke to him on the phone and unfortunately he doesn't install inserts unless it's purchased from him :(

I finally talked a highly-rated sweep in the Northern Virginia area to install a metal block-off plate along with my new insert installation, but they've quoted $600 to make a custom block-off plate and install it.

So now, I'm ordering a sheet of ss online and I will fold, bend, drill screw holes, and liner hole
$48 for 304 stainless steel.

bholler or anyone: is 304 ok, or do I need to source 316?

Can anyone recommend a source online to buy good, reasonably-priced insulation that I'll also need to have on hand for the insert installer to stuff above the plate I'll be making? Thank you
Aluminum or galvanized is fine. No need to use stainless. As far as insulation just go to your local lumber yard and get rockwool or mineral wool