Chimney Sweeping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction on what to use to clean the chimney. I have a hearthstone heritage with a single 90* pipe going into the wall and up an estimated 20' chimney. Had it cleaned in October and was happy to pay the guy $135. I have gained some confidence and want to attempt to do it myself.

1. Not sure what brush to buy or how to get it to clean all 20'.
2. The guy who cleaned it did a top down cleaning and basically vaccuumed everything out of the hole where the inside pipe connects. Is this correct?
3. Should i have someone come out and do it again or should it not really be a concern? Been burning basically everyday since October. Wood has been dry with the occassional piece that might hiss for a minute if that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soot eater....As an engine guy I HATE heights.... Do it from the comfort of your house. Takes minimal time. You're going to have to buy extra rods since you have a 20' chimney.

http://www.sooteater.com/

James02 said:
Soot eater....As an engine guy I HATE heights.... Do it from the comfort of your house. Takes minimal time. You're going to have to buy extra rods since you have a 20' chimney.

http://www.sooteater.com/

How do you prevent it from getting all over the place?

How do you prevent it from getting all over the place?[/quote]

Carefully... They give a plastic sheething but I don't use it. There really isn't a problem till you get to right above the stove. Then you have to go a bit on the slow side so you don't blow everything that has fallen all over.

James02 said:
How do you prevent it from getting all over the place?

Carefully... They give a plastic sheething but I don't use it. There really isn't a problem till you get to right above the stove. Then you have to go a bit on the slow side so you don't blow everything that has fallen all over.[/quote]

Looks like a better tool than the brush would be...only issue I think I will have is it getting all over the place...how often do you clean your chimney? I'm new to this and i'm probably paranoid but would rather be paranoid and still have a house

I'm a bit paranoid also...I sweep every few weeks...Just cause I've got newbie wood. It really does not take too long, thankfully!

James02 said:
I'm a bit paranoid also...I sweep every few weeks...Just cause I've got newbie wood. It really does not take too long, thankfully!

If I were like you I am way behind. Had it swept in October. Wood has been dry with the ocassional piece that might hiss. Going to get that tool if i can find one at the store.

Greatly appreciate it.

I got mine from Amazon... Others might chime in as to where it can be purchased....Or stolen....

Soot eater may be great, but keep in mind the worst of the build up typically it the cap screen and the top part of the liner that stick out the old chimney. Don't neglect that area, or all the cleaning you do in the world ain't going to help if things get clogged up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.