Chompin' at the bit to get to work on a giant oak.... too darned hot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I really want to start work on a huge water oak down the road at a widow lady's property. It came down in a strong wind several months ago. I think the trunk is at least 36 inches diameter. Probably worth over two cords. I haven't done any wood work in a few months other than test my new splitter out on a dead and down pine. (not much challenge to the Huskee 35)

At ten o'clock this morning the temp is 93 and heat index is 104. The high 'real' temp will be around 106 again today.
As much as I want to, I just can't see working in this kind of heat if I don't have to. I guess I could go down there around 0730 or so in the morning and work for a couple of hours. It wouldn't be too hard to buck it all up. I could just leave it there until it cools down in a few months, then I could start hauling it home.

The tree is not going anywhere but if I don't get it this month I won't be able to get to it until after mid October. Hopefully, it will have cooled down a wee bit by then.

Ken, it would have to be an emergency before I'd be out there cutting in those temperatures.

Finally it is beginning to cool here. The air really feels great this morning. Won't be long before we break out the light jackets.

Yes, BS. I'm really hesitant because I'm in good shape for the coming winter. I usually only burn about 1.5 cords or so and have close to 2.5 split and stacked, all of which recently tested out below 20%. Some well below. I have close to three cords worth stacked in rounds ready to be split. I'm in better shape than I've ever been.

One thing that is pushing me, though, is that the widow lady's place is for sale and I'd like to get that tree out of there before new owners come in.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ken, it would have to be an emergency before I'd be out there cutting in those temperatures.

Finally it is beginning to cool here. The air really feels great this morning. Won't be long before we break out the light jackets.

The temperature sure is nice, but after the rain we got a week and a half ago, the first rain in weeks, the skeeters are terrible. Even on a sunny, breezy day. I won't be doing much outside until they calm down. DEET usually does the trick for me, but I sweat it off too easily. I'd rather have the hot.

That does sort of throw another fly in the ointment.

36 inch oak on a 390 you better put some time on your chains they need to be perfect! ;-)

Jay, I have two brand new RSCs still in the box. Will that work? My other two regular chains are just back from the Stihl shop.

My main problem is that I have a 16 inch bar so I'm likely to come up a little short. I don't really want to invest in a longer bar and chain for what is likely a one time event. I guess I could rent another saw for the day. Or check my neighbor buddy and see what length he has on his Stihl. But I hate to borrow someone's power equipment. I borrow his trailer and box blade and he uses my back blade and brush hog. But power equipment is a little bit different.

Kenster said:
Jay, I have two brand new RSCs still in the box. Will that work? My other two regular chains are just back from the Stihl shop.

My main problem is that I have a 16 inch bar so I'm likely to come up a little short. I don't really want to invest in a longer bar and chain for what is likely a one time event. I guess I could rent another saw for the day. Or check my neighbor buddy and see what length he has on his Stihl. But I hate to borrow someone's power equipment. I borrow his trailer and box blade and he uses my back blade and brush hog. But power equipment is a little bit different.

Your perfect on chains....Just cut over the top as far as you can reach and bring a wedge for the top of he cut. There is always a flatter side some where find it and exploit it.
Sure would not be a bad investment on a 22-24 inch bar for that saw at some point. ;-)

Kenster said:

If you don't want to borrow his saw, borrow his b&c...return it sharpened. Good deal for both of you.

Great idea! I was just thinking about seeing if the rental store would just let me rent a bar and chain. I think my buddy has an MS290. His bar should fit my 390 right?

Kenster said:
Great idea! I was just thinking about seeing if the rental store would just let me rent a bar and chain. I think my buddy has an MS290. His bar should fit my 390 right?

Yes and even a 18 inch more than gets you there......16 may do it but your going to need a pretty good flat spot. With my luck it would be on the bottom. :lol:

Kenster said:
Yes, BS. I'm really hesitant because I'm in good shape for the coming winter. I usually only burn about 1.5 cords or so and have close to 2.5 split and stacked, all of which recently tested out below 20%. Some well below. I have close to three cords worth stacked in rounds ready to be split. I'm in better shape than I've ever been.

One thing that is pushing me, though, is that the widow lady's place is for sale and I'd like to get that tree out of there before new owners come in.
Similar situation here. Some neighbors that give me wood want me to cut a few dead Pines that are leaning toward a pond. I like to keep them happy, but I need to cut some more for my SIL and take advantage of the good drying weather that's coming. Your wood probably dries all year long down there in TX, so you're not pressured on the drying aspect like I am. We're finally getting a break here; Around 90* today and only 46% humidity. Nice breeze, too. I may even do a little hand splitting on some Ash today if no one is there to pull the splitter lever for me...

Woody, leaning over a pond sounds like a mid-winter job.

My view on wood scrounging is there is always plenty of time to wait as it cures in the wood pile. Other than that, I am on it asap.

I've cut 4 trees this year and they are still in my yard waiting to be split because of the heat. Our cool mountain weather has been in the 90 which is unbearable. I can imagine TX. It won't be long though.

Kenster said:
I really want to start work on a huge water oak down the road at a widow lady's property. It came down in a strong wind several months ago. I think the trunk is at least 36 inches diameter. Probably worth over two cords. I haven't done any wood work in a few months other than test my new splitter out on a dead and down pine. (not much challenge to the Huskee 35)

At ten o'clock this morning the temp is 93 and heat index is 104. The high 'real' temp will be around 106 again today.
As much as I want to, I just can't see working in this kind of heat if I don't have to. I guess I could go down there around 0730 or so in the morning and work for a couple of hours. It wouldn't be too hard to buck it all up. I could just leave it there until it cools down in a few months, then I could start hauling it home.

The tree is not going anywhere but if I don't get it this month I won't be able to get to it until after mid October. Hopefully, it will have cooled down a wee bit by then.

Kenster; wish I could send you the weather we had last night 52 degrees.

zap

Drink lots of water.
Hook up a garden hose & have some one hose you down every few minutes.

Haul the logs with that tractor, cut it up later.

Good luck.

Kenster; wish I could send you the weather we had last night 52 degrees.

zap[/quote]

52 degrees?? Thats like jacket weather!!! It hasnt been below 70 here on L.I. since early June. At least my wood is roastn' in the stacks!

Backwoods Savage said:
Woody, leaning over a pond sounds like a mid-winter job.
There's no guarantee that we will get ice that's thick enough to walk on. Last year we did, but it's not always that cold. When this woman doesn't like something (like a row of unsightly dead Pines,) she won't rest until it is taken care of. I don't envy her husband. :lol: I gotta get those things down ASAP, but getting everyone some dry (or almost dry) wood is Job #1...

Status
Not open for further replies.