Choosing a replacement stove or fireplace after a house fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twerner

Dec 8, 2015
Issaquah, WA
A week before Thanksgiving, I had to call the fire department after picking up a strange smell near the fireplace just before smoke started coming out of the mantel. In the end, everyone was okay and they put it out before the fire entered the attic (see media). Our plans for the holidays have been dramatically changed, but I am thankful that I have insurance. We just went through 2 weeks of smoke damage restoration and the next step is what to do with the fireplace and chimney. It's a 1977 home, brick fireplace, chimney, with heatilator and blowers. Besides just restoring everything to what it was, we would like to consider alternative, safer, more efficient solutions and this is where I have questions.

The first contractor doesn't like what he sees with the fireplace AND chimney. He recommends removing it all and replacing with a zero clearance RSF Opel wood stove with class A pipe and framing to match house. Also new interior face and hearth for fireplace.

The next contractor recommends keeping the chimney but switching to a wood burning insert with new rock face and hearth.

I think both options are good because we're no longer relying on a 40-year old masonry chimney and fireplace and instead installing a new flue. But what's the word with wood burning stove insert versus a zero clearance stove? Are they of similar quality, burn time, simplicity, safety?

Thanks,
Tom

Adding picture (again!)

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 207
Welcome. Sorry to hear that you've gone through such a harrowing experience but I'm glad to hear that life and house are safe. You are correct, both approaches will work. A good insert can heat the house well. It will be safe as long as there is a fully insulated liner and the stove requirements are honored. Operation, safety and simplicity are similar as long as the workmanship is good.

Thanks for the reply begreen. For some reason when I look up "zero clearance stove" I seem to land on forums where people are replacing them with an insert stove or another type of stove. This makes me think they're inferior or older models are inferior, OR they're talking about zero clearance fireplaces, not stoves?

Cheap contractor grade ZC fireplaces are just that and not good heaters either. This is in contrast to high quality EPA fireplaces from known vendors like RSF, Kozy, Northstar, FPX, etc.. The latter are very good heaters that maintain a nice fireplace look and feel yet burn cleanly and heat well.

Thanks for the suggestions. This contractor is recommending RSF Opel but didn't specify which one. Researching that now, whether there are differences and whether to add a blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.