Choosing the right size Blaze King wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kirby72

Oct 21, 2021
Cle Elum, WA
Looking to purchase first wood stove for my home. My question is about a stove size recommendation for my home/conditions in the Blaze King lineup. Are the size recommendations on their website super accurate?

My home:
Located in central Washington at 2000 feet, on the eastern slopes of the Cascade mountains. Average daily low temperatures in the winter are in the mid 20's, highs in the mid 30's.
3,000 square feet and built in 2003, mostly one level, with 600 square feet above our 3 car garage at the end of the house. Upstairs is my daughter's exclusive domain....she will move out in 2 years. Vaulted ceilings in main living areas with ceiling fans. House has new all electric HVAC system with 3 zones: main living areas, upstairs, and the other end of the house which contains master suite and guest bedroom. Thermostat has "circulation mode" for the fan.

Plan to heat with wood from the property and surrounding area: 80% Douglas fir, and 20% ponderosa pine on my property.

So, I guess my real question is do I need the King or will the Ashford 30.2/Princess be sufficient? TIA

Last edited:
Looking to purchase first wood stove for my home. My question is about a stove size recommendation for my home/conditions in the Blaze King lineup. Are the size recommendations on their website super accurate?

My home:
Located in central Washington at 2000 feet, on the eastern slopes of the Cascade mountains. Average daily low temperatures in the winter are in the mid 20's, highs in the mid 30's.
3,000 square feet and built in 2003, mostly one level, with 600 square feet above our 3 car garage at the end of the house. Upstairs is my daughter's exclusive domain....she will move out in 2 years. Vaulted ceilings in main living areas with ceiling fans. House has new all electric HVAC system with 3 zones: main living areas, upstairs, and the other end of the house which contains master suite and guest bedroom. Thermostat has "circulation mode" for the fan.

Plan to heat with wood from the property and surrounding area: 80% Douglas fir, and 20% ponderosa pine on my property.

So, I guess my real question is do I need the King or will the Ashford 30.2/Princess be sufficient? TIA

Cle Elum is great, I spent a few summers in the 1990s packing mules up the Teanaway. Still have the spurs.

3000 SF would certainly be easier with the king. Especially with vaulted ceilings and especially in that windy cold location you will have no problem using the heat when it's cold and enjoying the very long burn times when it's not so cold.

Since this home is existing, you should know that your chimney will need to be 8" for the king which is a bit more expensive.