Choosing tube stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tadmaz

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2017
Erin, WI
Hey all, my folks are moving from northern wisconsin down to SE wisconsin. They currently have a Napoleon 1402, and it's been good, but they run it hard to heat their home. Probably too small of a firebox for being up north. Down here I think something in the 2.3 cuft range would be good, single-story 1400 sq ft new build. Large ash bin is the main factor according to my dad. Would a Regency F2450 with pedestal have a large ash bin? Hard to tell online. Pacific energy's look like they have a 1" deep ash bin. We are leaning towards another Napoleon. Is there any other 2.3-2.6 cuft tube stove with a large ash bin that I'm missing?

Hey all, my folks are moving from northern wisconsin down to SE wisconsin. They currently have a Napoleon 1402, and it's been good, but they run it hard to heat their home. Probably too small of a firebox for being up north. Down here I think something in the 2.3 cuft range would be good, single-story 1400 sq ft new build. Large ash bin is the main factor according to my dad. Would a Regency F2450 with pedestal have a large ash bin? Hard to tell online. Pacific energy's look like they have a 1" deep ash bin. We are leaning towards another Napoleon. Is there any other 2.3-2.6 cuft tube stove with a large ash bin that I'm missing?
The buck 81 is listed as 2.4cf and it has a ash tray. Not fore sure how big it is. It is more like 2.2 or so though because of the trapezoidal firebox shape.

Kuma Wood Classic LE, Osburn 2000, Drolet Escape 1800, Classic, and Eastwood. I was on this same hunt not too long ago.

I have a Century FW3000 that I bought @ Menards. 2.4cu. ft. firebox, it’s ash box is roughly 11”x13”x5”. I am heating 1250sq. ft. single story built in the 40’s, with no wind break to the north or west & it has no problem keeping it warm. It will take 16” chunks in a N-S loading.
A57DF1B8-195E-42B9-8822-979A200CD859.jpeg

If they can find one I would try and get the 2.5 cu ft. Enviro Kodiak 1700. It has a nice big ashpan and is a super stove. The PE Summit ash pan is also wide and deep. At least 5" I would guess. Likewise for the 2.4 cu ft Quadrafire 4300.

We are leaning towards a Napoleon 1400M pedestal. Looks like it's not 2020 certified, so who knows if our dealer can get one before May. Anyone know if Napoleon will have ANY wood stoves past May?

We are leaning towards a Napoleon 1400M pedestal. Looks like it's not 2020 certified, so who knows if our dealer can get one before May. Anyone know if Napoleon will have ANY wood stoves past May?
Have you looked at Enerzone Solution stoves? How about the Osborn stoves? Enerzone has a lone of stoves that are EPA certified for 2020 regs.

If you guys like the Napoleon you might check out the S4 @ 2.25 cuft or the S9 @3 cuft both 2020 certified appear to have a large ash pan. They look to be built very similar to the 1402. My personal preference would be a 1400C Bannff even though its not 202 certified.

I am very happy with the Drolet Escape 1800 for which I paid $900 at a hardware store in Hayward. 2.4 cu ft, large ash pan, and heats our well insulated 1700sq ft house just fine. But we have not had any below zero days here yet.

Hey all, my folks are moving from northern wisconsin down to SE wisconsin....Down here I think something in the 2.3 cuft range would be good, single-story 1400 sq ft new build. Large ash bin is the main factor according to my dad....Pacific energy's look like they have a 1" deep ash bin.
I missed this post earlier. Are they looking for a "value stove," or not that concerned with cost. If not, with the good insulation and air-sealing they probably have at the new place, if they have a somewhat open layout, I might go with an Alderlea T5. The ash pan is a few inches deep, not one inch, so it should hold several full-load burns before needing to be emptied. My SIL has been using it, but I'm going to go over there with a narrow, shallow pan and see if it's pretty easy to shovel out the ash. I think it'll be easy to keep the pan inside the box and get very little dust escaping. If your dad can handle that kind of work, that might be a way he could go. I have a piece of wood at my SIL's that she can use to hold the ash dump door open while she sweeps the ash down the dump. She also has a table spoon that she uses to scoot the pile away from below the ash door, into other areas of the pan.
The baffle is heavy, but only has one lock pin to remove, then you can pull it out. Makes sweeping the chimney a breeze.
If they are moving close to you, you could take care of the ash and sweeps for them, good son that you are.. ==c
I'm not familiar with other tube stoves, but I have to believe the T5 will be hard to beat in quality construction and thoughtful engineering.

This is all great stuff guys. The Osburn/Jotul/Enerzone dealers around here are really bad. For example, you have to put half the money down before they even measure your masonry fireplace for fitting an insert. My dad is set on a pedestal with huge ash drawer, a traditional look, tube stove. Here's where we're at.
1. Napoleon 1400M - getting in contact with dealer to see if we can get the stove. Have spoken with the dealer, they sound ok.
2. Regency F2450 - known good dealer
3. Lopi Evergreen - have never talked with dealer

My brother's got its predecessor, the F2400. It's a well-built stove. bholler has said that Regency has had some hybrid stoves in the field for several years, and they are working well. I don't know if the 2450 is one of those, but if not, I'd assume it's built on the same general design..

I looked at the regency 2450. I’m sure it’s a fine stove, being the evolution of the proven 2400. I don’t like the round cat you slide directly under the flue collar. I realize there will still be benefits of the cat vs no cat at all, but talk about sending the heat up the stack...

I looked at the regency 2450. I’m sure it’s a fine stove, being the evolution of the proven 2400. I don’t like the round cat you slide directly under the flue collar. I realize there will still be benefits of the cat vs no cat at all, but talk about sending the heat up the stack...
Can you clarify what you mean by round cat? The 2450 is a tube stove as far as I can tell.

Can you clarify what you mean by round cat? The 2450 is a tube stove as far as I can tell.
Yeah sure, it is their “cascades with eco-boost triple burn technology” line, a.k.a. A hybrid stove with a cat for cleaner emissions to meet epa 2020.
image.jpg
like I said I’m sure it’s a fine stove. The cat would certainly help keep temps up for a clean burn.

My brother's got its predecessor, the F2400. It's a well-built stove. bholler has said that Regency has had some hybrid stoves in the field for several years, and they are working well. I don't know if the 2450 is one of those, but if not, I'd assume it's built on the same general design..
See my pic above for the new adaptations, and these are the existing stoves, well the newly tested versions of the existing

Way more chance for the cats to radiate and deliver some heat to the stovetop I’d say

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
Oooops sorry! Didn’t realize that. Thought the old one was 2400 thus the new one was 2450. ;em

In that case, if there’s no cat, I agree with Woody and forget all that cat talk!

Ok I am remembering now. The dealer told me the 2450 was the 2400 with its low air setting “modified”..... aka not as low as the 2400, for lower emissions again. FWIW.. Welcome to the new era of stove buying.

Gotcha, thanks again for all the info guys!!

2 weeks ago there were 16 Napoleon's left. Yesterday there were 0. 2 dealers bought 8 each very recently. My folks are looking at the Regency F2450 now.

Yes, it's clearance time. Snooze ya lose unless it's a 2020 approved model.