Circulating air through my home - Vent/Duct Fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianosaur

Nov 25, 2005
New Yawk
The room with my stove has two 6" x 12" vents at the top of one wall. The vents are in a standard 2"x4" wall and lead to another room where the floor is four feet higher (split level home). While heat does go through the vents, and I usually have a ceiling fan on in the room with the stove, I'd like to get more air circulating.

I have been looking on the net for vent fans and duct fans but all I find is circular inline heating fans. I saw something a while ago that sits on a floor grill with a standard outlet cord, but I don't think I want it on the outside, hanging off the wall.

Is there a fan I can place inside the wall, between the 2 grills that is quiet? I could always run a 110v line and place a switch in the wall.

Thanks

Try this site.

www.lehmans.com

They have 4" doorway fans that are real quiet, I have 2 and they work great!
I also think they have floor and wall registers with fans allready monted inside.

Steve said:
The somewhat more spartan version is

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102825&cp=&kw=fan&parentPage=search

But you have to wire your own power feed/switch. A vibration-deadener makes them pretty quiet. I ahve two sitting on bookshelves with bits of that non-slip rug pad underneath, and they're much queter than the fan in my insert...

Steve

Hey Steve, ever compare that Radio Shack fan to the ones in our VCWWL? Looks similar. That would be convenient, eh? Even if it's 'just close enough' I suspect.

I use a 100 CFM (cubic feet per minute of air movement). I would say this is a good amount of air movement. With this fan blowing in at the top of a door and a floor box fan blowing out at the bottom of a door I'm able to get warm air to circulate down a hall and into my bedroom. This hall is a couple feet from the stove and the room is 15-20 feet at the end of it. This works suprisingly GREAT!

Radio shack has a 85 cfm which is $5 cheaper than the one recomended. Or you could even look on Ebay under "axial fan" which is what these fans are called.

-Mike

AKA Muffin fans. 4" 120vac. Try to get a one with ball bearings and with a reasonably low noise rating. Below 40 dba is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.