Citizenship

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Congrats . . . I sometimes wonder how many of us natural born citizens would be able to become citizens if we had to take the same tests.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Congratulations.

I expect folks who have to earn it have a lot more respect for being a citizen then many folks who got it by the accident of birth.

Congratulations Jan. You must feel proud. We appreciate the things we work for more than the stuff that's handed to us.

Hello fellow wood burners!

I would like to share with you that I became a US Citizen today. And I am damn proud of it!

Congratulations on all your hard work!

Congrats, welcome and thank you for putting in the effort & work to doing it legally. You are exactly what this country needs, and what makes this country great. Glad to have you with us.

Well done, Jan, and congratulations! You are just what we need right now, someone from a country with centuries of experience keeping the rising waters of the oceans at bay.

Oh, and by the way, how did the "Dutch oven" get its name?

Last edited:
Well done, Jan, and congratulations! You are just what we need right now, someone from a country with centuries of experience keeping the rising waters of the oceans at bay.

Oh, and by the way, how did the "Dutch oven" get its name?

Thanks Ed.

During the late 17th century, the Dutch system of producing these cast metal cooking vessels was more advanced than the English system. The Dutch used dry sand to make their molds, giving their pots a smoother surface. Consequently, metal cooking vessels produced in the Netherlands were imported into Britain. In 1704, an Englishman named Abraham Darby decided to go to the Netherlands to observe the Dutch system for making these cooking vessels. Four years later, back in England, Darby patented a casting procedure similar to the Dutch process and began to produce cast-metal cooking vessels for Britain and her new American colonies. Thus the term “Dutch oven” has endured for over 300 years, since at least 1710.

Re citizenship test... the state department puts out a flash card set of questions to prepare for the citizenship test.. I bought it after one of my friends became a citizen..just to see what it asked

The questions are mostly stuff you learn in grammar school civics

That said.. welcome op

Re citizenship test... the state department puts out a flash card set of questions to prepare for the citizenship test.. I bought it after one of my friends became a citizen..just to see what it asked

The questions are mostly stuff you learn in grammar school civics

That said.. welcome op

Thank you.

It is the Immigration Dept. (USCIS) processing the application. You need to memorize 100 questions and answers of which they only ask 6-10 during the interview/test. Like I said before, you're faster done with the test than getting a driver's license.

Last edited:
Congratulations Jan and welcome. We need all the diversity we can get. It makes us stronger.