Class A brace for standing seam roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drz1050

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2014
Ballston Lake, NY
I'm currently just shy of 16' on my flue setup for the Ashford, and get a little smoke spillage during warmer weather.. going to be adding a 2 or 3' section soon, but that will require a brace. I've been looking tonight, and seems like all of them get screwed down to the roof surface. Easy enough with shingles, but I have standing seam. Is there any brace out there that can clamp to the seams instead of going through? The snow fences just clamp to the seams, and you can walk on them so they're plenty strong enough to hold it... I haven't seen a chimney brace with this option yet though. Anyone know of one?

I would just bolt it down with dabs of silicone in the pilot holes and use washered short lag bolts meant for metal roofs. Otherwise you may need to adapt. A standard roof bracket has an angle bracket that attaches to the end. Perhaps you could find a standing seam clamp that could be attached to the brace's legs instead of the angle bracket? Maybe something like what is used to attach solar panels to metal roofs?

http://www.s-5.com/home/index.cfm

Last edited:
Reactions: drz1050
Ok, dug through my archives and found this picture. Maybe stop by the company that installed your roof and ask them about seam clamps for attachment? Note the snow slide protection here too.

Roof brace.JPG

Reactions: drz1050
Would much rather not penetrate the roof unless absolutely necessary.. looks like those S5 clamps will work! Thank you very much, sir, I'll give those a shot. :)

Not worried about snow slide, the chimney is already pretty close to the top of the ridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.