Clayton model 1800 questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade88

Nov 21, 2016
Indiana
I just installed a model 1800 wood/coal furnace. I burned it last night and man does it pump out the heat. My question is should I have a damper installed in the flue pipe to kinda choke the stove down some. The previous owner did not use one in the 5 years he had it. It does have a baffle rod and plate to redirect flue gases up over the bricks. My 1500 didn't have this so I had a damper in the pipe. I am burning wood only no coal.

IMO, yes. I think all those older designs should have 'em. I also (personally) would have a permanently mounted manometer to set the draft with. BTW, I have some available over in the for sale section if you are interested. Setting a manual damper without a meter is kinda like driving without a speedometer...
Oh, and welcome to Hearth!

Usually the owners manual will say what it should be...but I would guess -.03" WC

Status
Not open for further replies.