Cleaned Plate HX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
After noticing that input/output temperature difference through my plate hx was getting narrower under similar conditions, and that the boiler was idling more frequently and for longer periods than before, I removed the hx and back flushed both sides. The boiler side was clean with no particulates flushing out. The system side flushed out quite a bit of material. After cleaning, I achieved a maximum 25F increase in the differential - great increase in heat transfer.

I have a 50 micron filter on the system supply side of the hx, but after some replumbing in early fall, I had the filter disabled for a short while. I suspect that was the cause of the particulate buildup.

Others may want to pay attention to input/output differential changes and/or changes in idling frequency and duration and consider similar issues with their hx's.

Status
Not open for further replies.