Cleaning a Harmon P 61

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spaztictyper

New Member
Sep 7, 2026
8
Nova scotia
I ran my Harmon P 61 all day yesterday, and have about an inch of ashes left in it. Just curious if I can restart it at this point and the pellets will push it out of the way or should I clean it out first. My buddy has one and says it will push it out of the way and start up.
 
I always scrape it out. Keeping the ash pan holes free will keep the stove running more efficiently.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Washed-Up
Okay I want to run it on the thermostat. When I ran it yesterday I had the fan off, set on 1 and still was to hot. It's the best choice to heat the whole ground floor as it's right in the middle. Had to put up with 77f temps or open and close doors. It was 52f all day and raining. Same today. Running the heat pumps today. Did I mention the extra noise of the heat pump running in the living room? The pellet stove is in the kitchen, can't even hear it.
 
Last edited:
Okay I want to run it on the thermostat. When I ran it yesterday I had the fan off, set on 1 and still was to hot. It's the best choice to heat the whole ground floor as it's right in the middle. Had to put up with 77f temps or open and close doors. It was 52f all day and raining. Same today. Running the heat pumps today. Did I mention the extra noise of the heat pump running in the living room? The pellet stove is in the kitchen, can't even hear it.
I did get it going on thermostat, but because the heat sensor is too close, it didn't heat half the house. Heated the room 8 feet away fine. So the experiment continues.
 
I ran my Harmon P 61 all day yesterday, and have about an inch of ashes left in it. Just curious if I can restart it at this point and the pellets will push it out of the way or should I clean it out first. My buddy has one and says it will push it out of the way and start up.
scraping is fine but every start or every day is kinda OCD. the ash will get pushed away for ignition into the ash pan so fire away..
 
You do not need to scrape every day. I do tend to swipe off the "mustache" of ashes once a day on my P43 (living room), just because I like the cleaner look. I swipe the mustache off my P61a when I go downstairs and load more pellets.

Both my stoves are run off "remote", dedicated thermostats (not my household thermostat). the thermostats are wired to the stoves but are battery operated. The one for my living area is located in my office, which is about 1/2 way down the length of my house from my stove. The one for my basement is located near the exterior door, which is nearly all the way across the basement (and has the staircase in between). The thermostats being basically isolated from the stoves means the stoves don't cycle as much during warmer weather as the heat dissipates thru the house.

Personally I would open all your doors as well as turn the distribution fan on. The fan should help distribute the heat thru the house. The P61 is a big stove capable of putting out a lot of heat. The area near the stove (kitchen) will still get warmer than the rest of the house, but I think you are doing yourself a disservice by only heating one room.
 
You do not need to scrape every day. I do tend to swipe off the "mustache" of ashes once a day on my P43 (living room), just because I like the cleaner look. I swipe the mustache off my P61a when I go downstairs and load more pellets.

Both my stoves are run off "remote", dedicated thermostats (not my household thermostat). the thermostats are wired to the stoves but are battery operated. The one for my living area is located in my office, which is about 1/2 way down the length of my house from my stove. The one for my basement is located near the exterior door, which is nearly all the way across the basement (and has the staircase in between). The thermostats being basically isolated from the stoves means the stoves don't cycle as much during warmer weather as the heat dissipates thru the house.

Personally I would open all your doors as well as turn the distribution fan on. The fan should help distribute the heat thru the house. The P61 is a big stove capable of putting out a lot of heat. The area near the stove (kitchen) will still get warmer than the rest of the house, but I think you are doing yourself a disservice by only heating one room.
I'm heating the entire first floor. Thanks
 
if you are trying to heat the entire floor you’ll have to move the colder air from the far end of the floor to the back of the stove or the “space” the stove is in will always be hotter than the rest of the floor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: johneh
That after 6 hours, running as low as it will go.

[Hearth.com] Cleaning a Harmon P 61