Cleaning Advice wanted for Englander Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmsyr

Nov 2, 2006
I have an Englander Pellet Stove (25-PDVC). I'm looking for some advice on how to properly clean it.
I dump the burn pot ashes every day, vacuum out the chamber and remove the baffle and vacuum behind it weekly. But I'm concerned that ash is building up in the heat exchange and the exhaust. Before the season I cleaned the exhaust stack outside and got what I could from the horizontal run by snaking my brush from the cleanout. Is there any way to clean out the exhaust pipe (the horizontal run) without removing the exhaust blower? If I do remove the exhaust blower will that give me enough access to clean the heat exchange? ASny other Englander owners how do you clean? Appreciate any advice.

I burn an Englander wood stove, not pellet but I bet if you call England's Stove Works customer service at 1-800-245-6489 they will know the answers.

They operate on Eastern time.

Thanks Brother Bart,
I called England Stove Works. He told me on my model I had no way to remove any parts to access the heat exchanger for cleaning. The suggested cleaning method is to vacuum out behind the baffle plate as best I can, then with the combustion/exhaust blower on use my vacuum exhaust or other blower to push the ash out the stoves exhaust. This will cause a little ash buildup in the horizontal run but with the blower on it should be ok. My 'annual' removal and cleaning of the exhaust blower housing will give me access to properly clean the horizontal run and give me a little more access to clean the heat exchange. Guess that means I gotta do the annual combustion blower cleaning one of these years :)
Ken

hi,
i read your post , actually when you remove the baffle plate in that unit you are looking at the heat exchanger area. there is an opening roughly 3 X 8 inches that has a shelf in the middle of it. this area should be kept clean to allow the highest heat transfer (ash can act as an insulator) the real beauty of this stove is that internally 90% of the area that the flame and exhgaust are in contact with are within direct reach of the operator. only exception being the exhaust chamber leading back to the blower. this (providing you have the right tool can be cleaned non invasively(a little compressed air can go a long way) give me a call at the shop 800-245-6489 , ask for mike. i'll explain a simple way to clean that entire stove out in minutes where it will run like new. easy fix, gimme a shot , trust me i know what im talking about , i do have that same model running in my kitchen right now and its heating my house on a 2 heat range

Boy Mike, I wish there was one of you for every stove manufacturer out there, (and they should be posting on this website!).

You're a credit to your profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.