Cleaning and Repainting Old Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sr73087

Dec 20, 2016
SW CT
I bought an older plate steel stove for a decent price. The unit is structurally good but pretty sooty/grimmy. What is the best thing to use to clean this? After I clean it I think I will likely repaint. The current paint is just alittle worn but not peeling or flaking. As far as prep, how much sanding is necessary? Do I need to get it down to bare metal or if its not peeling, give it a quick hit with some sandpaper and paint?

Also, what paint do you recommend? Stove Bright? I believe the stove was a flat black originally.

Clean it with alcohol or acetone this will take off most of the old paint to then sand or wire wheel any rusty areas. Paint with stovebrite or aw perkins paint in whatever color you want. I dont recomend the rustolium paint it doesnt hold up well.

So if its not a rusty area just get it clean? If rusty, sand it or wire wheel to bare metal?
You don’t even need to go to bare metal. Just get it clean and rust free.
Be careful with coarse sandpaper, it’ll leave cut marks that are hard to remove and will show through the paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I'm no pro, but I cleaned up my old stove pretty nicely. I just wiped it down, scrubbed a bit of rust off with some steel wool and painted it with some Rutland Hi-Temp Stove Paint. Well worth the effort.

imgur.com/a/zuZX9