Cleanout Tee cap replacement after cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd check the install instructions that come with what ever exhaust pipe brand you bought. As far as I've ever seen you don't seal the cap on the cleanout T. I remove mine every week when I clean, I've had to fluff up the glass rope in it that seals it. Actually replaced it once or twice with extra I had left over from re-doing the gasket on the stove door. And my cleanout T is inside the house and have never had a problem with soot or smoke inside the house from it.

Very nice looking stove by the way!

That is dependent on you the type of piping on your exhaust and what the manufacturer calls for. If you have all new pieces it should tell you somewhere.

I personally use high a little high temp rtv on mine (some folks on here my disagree) but i found it to work well. Every time i take the tee apart i peel all the old stuff off and reapply new stuff.

Gowever many brands do not need nor do they recommend a sealant.

I use 2 wraps of foil tape to seal mine. I fold over the very end of the tape on itself to aid in removal when needing to clean out the cap.

My cleanout t has a tendency to leak (as well as the joints in the T), so I sealed it up with high temp, self-sealing silicone tape. Easy to install, easy to take off, and cheap at HD.
Clean%20Out%20T_zpssqmyfbbc.jpg

Wow Bogie ! I just wrap one strip of tape around the seam where the cap meets the T. But all the other joints were sealed with RTV already.

Reactions: bogieb
Here's a couple of pics to show what I am up against. I bought White Metal Products pipe a couple of years ago when I changed from a woodstove chimney to pellet because of a re-roofing to metal. I liked the way it locked together, the salesman assured me the joints were self sealing and the cleanout tee was shorter than the duravent.
I'm going to put a 45 deg on the cleanout tee, so I might fabricate a cap like the duravent tee has instead of the one pictured. You can see in the pictures that there isn't much to work with (about 1/4 in lip) and I can tell that trying to get it on while upside down will be near impossible. I'll probably seal with the tape like bogieb, but want metal in there because I have seen glowing bits coming out of the 5 ft pipe I had on for the tempering burn in.
cap2.jpg cap1.jpg

Last edited:
that's a nice looking stove, congrats

. I'll probably seal with the tape like bogieb, but want metal in there because I have seen glowing bits coming out of the 5 ft pipe I had on for the tempering burn in.

Yeah, you definitely want metal in there, the tape is just for sealing against smoke leaks.

Wow Bogie ! I just wrap one strip of tape around the seam where the cap meets the T. But all the other joints were sealed with RTV already.
I've found that every 45*, 90* and T-cleanout leaks at the joints for me. Now I just wrap them automatically - don't have to worry about it then. I may go a little overboard, but it is easier and less frustrating to do it once than to start chasing leaks.

I got my angle grinder out with a cutoff disc on it and shortened an appliance adapter to just above the locking ring.
0123161226.jpg
Cap fits securely in the adapter, and the shortened adapter goes in much easier than the cap by itself did in the cleanout tee.
0123161229a.jpg
Best of all, found that the exhaust is high enough that I don't have to use a 45 deg angle piece. There is still plenty of room to remove short piece. (The boards have pipe under them to make moving the stove easier and I'll get them out after I find the final position for the stove.)
0123161232.jpg

I got my angle grinder out with a cutoff disc on it and shortened an appliance adapter to just above the locking ring.
View attachment 172992
Cap fits securely in the adapter, and the shortened adapter goes in much easier than the cap by itself did in the cleanout tee.
View attachment 172993
Best of all, found that the exhaust is high enough that I don't have to use a 45 deg angle piece. There is still plenty of room to remove short piece. (The boards have pipe under them to make moving the stove easier and I'll get them out after I find the final position for the stove.)
View attachment 172994

Nice job! You are going to fit in with all these diy'ers around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.