Clearance Assistance BK Ashford 30.2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is what is called a parallel installation. The new stove will not fit in this space without some accommodations for the larger stove. Is the current stove an Englander 13-NC? I don't see how the salesperson would be able to say that "it's fine" without doing the homework of comparing existing measurements with the new stove's requirements. Can you post a shot of the paper with dimensions that you brought into the store?

The Label on the back of the unit says 13-NC-CLP or 123-NC MH. I am not sure exactly which one.

Ok, here is the sketch of the hearth and current woodstove I did yesterday. Sorry if it's hard to read.

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 110
OK. The same stove. Englander 13-NC. Unfortunately Englander never put the stove dimensions in the manual, so that makes it harder to calculate the changes. Reaching way back I thought this stove was about 26" wide, but I don't recall how deep it is.

Ok, here is the sketch of the hearth and current woodstove I did yesterday. Sorry if it's hard to read.
That's great. Very helpful. What are the top dimensions of the stove?

OK. The same stove. Englander 13-NC. Unfortunately Englander never put the stove dimensions in the manual, so that makes it harder to calculate the changes. Reaching way back I thought this stove was about 26" wide, but I don't recall how deep it is.
I took measurements of the Englander. It should be listed on the diagram I just posted.

I took measurements of the Englander. It should be listed on the diagram I just posted.
I see the front of the stove dimensions, but not the top.

Great. So it looks like the Ashford would need to sit a bit forward of the 13-NC's location. It's a deeper stove. The good news is that there is a generous area from the glass of the 13-NC's door to the front edge of the hearth. Is that 24"? If so, there is 8" to play with. The Ashford is about 4" wider, so it would also need to sit 2" to the left of the 13-NC's position. Does this all sound correct so far?

Great. So it looks like the Ashford would need to sit a bit forward of the 13-NC's location. It's a deeper stove. The good news is that there is a generous area from the glass of the 13-NC's door to the front edge of the hearth. Is that 24"? If so, there is 8" to play with. The Ashford is about 4" wider, so it would also need to sit 2" to the left of the 13-NC's position. Does this all sound correct so far?

Yes, I think that sounds right. I understand the Ashford may need to sit to the left a little and to the front more than the Englander currently does. At least that is what I am picturing in my head.

All the damn letters in these diagrams don't help as none of them are exactly what my install is. LOL I know the information is there to someone who is informed and understand, I just don't know exactly which ones I need to heed.

I am not going to take the salesman's word it will fit. I never do. I like to see the proof with my own eyes.

Hi,

So, my husband and I are looking serious at the Blaze King Ashford 30.2 . It is a much bigger stove than our little Englander. While looking at the clearance information online, I am a little confused about clearances around non-combustible, since the information is all about combustible materials.

I have attached pictures of our hearth and current woodstove. As you can see, the rear and partial side of the surround has tin ceiling tiles that are fire-rated, per the manufacture. This sits atop concrete board. So the surround should be fine as far as being fire safe, per my understanding.

My concern is that we don't have enough clearance from the center of the chimney to the wall. The Ashford calls for 25.5" per the diagram, to a combustible wall. From the center of our current chimney to the tin is 22".

Does a material being a non-combustible factor into clearances?

I asked the dealer about this. I took a detailed drawing of my hearth with measurements and he just glanced at it and said it would be fine. I want to understand this process and make sure I feel comfortable.

Thanks!

Gretchen

View attachment 280916 View attachment 280917

You have some TALL ceilings. Looks great. You appear to have been suffering with the ridiculously loud hairdryer blower on that tiny NC13. The blowers on the ashford are MUCH quieter and flow much more air.

Having the dimensions is a really big help. Thank you. With them, I don't have to speculate and based on them, I don't think the hearth will need modification. I think you are going to be ok. The stove will come more forward into the room but there's room on this generous hearth. And it will need to sit a couple of inches to the left of where the 13-NC sits in order to maintain proper clearance. It looks like the main modification might be possibly needing an offset in the flue which is common when changing stoves. We have one in our stovepipe.

You have some TALL ceilings. Looks great. You appear to have been suffering with the ridiculously loud hairdryer blower on that tiny NC13. The blowers on the ashford are MUCH quieter and flow much more air.

Jeeze, suffering is right. Low is hardly tolerable. Thanks for answering a question I hadn't yet asked. We were wondering if we wanted a fan on the new stove, but that was going to depend on how quiet it was.

Jeeze, suffering is right. Low is hardly tolerable. Thanks for answering a question I hadn't yet asked. We were wondering if we wanted a fan on the new stove, but that was going to depend on how quiet it was.

You do want them. Not too expensive, the kit is a pair of axial fans that can run very low for minimal noise. The fan kit includes/replaces the rear heat shield for the reduced rear clearances.

Good choice on the double wall interior pipe too. That long run with those tall ceilings will overcool flue gasses if using single wall. Plus, double wall is just better.

Having the dimensions is a really big help. Thank you. With them, I don't have to speculate and based on them, I don't think the hearth will need modification. I think you are going to be ok. The stove will come more forward into the room but there's room on this generous hearth. And it will need to sit a couple of inches to the left of where the 13-NC sits in order to maintain proper clearance. It looks like the main modification might be possibly needing an offset in the flue which is common when changing stoves. We have one in our stovepipe.

Yes, off-setting the chimney is what I thought we might need to modify. We have PLENTY of room to the left, that is just a hallway, and I figured it would come forward some.

My biggest concern was the measurement from the center of the chimney to the wall. Do I use C or F for that measurement?

My husband is going to install this. And as long as I am happy that clearances are met, there won't be any arguing. I am a by-the-book kind of gal!

He also says he wants to use metal bestos pipe, like that is used in the roof, for the inside chimney portion. Is that more substantial than just double wall pipe?

Metalbestos is just a brand. Hubby had it right. It's a good idea to match the double-wall stovepipe brand to the chimney brand. Flue centerline measurements are C (side wall) and D (rear wall).

You do want them. Not too expensive, the kit is a pair of axial fans that can run very low for minimal noise. The fan kit includes/replaces the rear heat shield for the reduced rear clearances.

Good choice on the double wall interior pipe too. That long run with those tall ceilings will overcool flue gasses if using single wall. Plus, double wall is just better.

The sales guy said the Ashford had a built-in heat shield in the rear?

Do they make side heat shields?

The stove is a steel stove with a castiron jacket. That is the built-in side heat shielding.

Reactions: Labmad49
The stove is a steel stove with a castiron jacket. That is the side heat shielding.

Ok. That makes sense. I saw that in the display yesterday. The salesman was, well, I won't say what I think of him here. I'll just say I wasn't very impressed. He acted like I was a bother to him.

I don't trust your sales guy but he might be right.

The back half of the ashford is a steel stove. No cast iron. On other BK stoves, you can buy a rear heat shield or you can buy a fan kit that is a rear shield plus fans. Either way, I recommend you get the fans.

I don't trust your sales guy but he might be right.

The back half of the ashford is a steel stove. No cast iron. On other BK stoves, you can buy a rear heat shield or you can buy a fan kit that is a rear shield plus fans. Either way, I recommend you get the fans.

I have accounted for the fans in my pricing and in my calculations of just how deep the stove is.

Easiest would be if you can draw the current ceiling location of your flue on the hearth (where a plumb bob from the center of the flue at ceiling height would be). (I may be wrong but looking at the drawing you made, I can't see the location of where the flue goes thru the ceiling.)

Here is a picture. I don't think I can get up that high to get a measurement. I can take a measurement from the lower chimney to the wall though I think.

Attachments

• unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 94
Easiest would be if you can draw the current ceiling location of your flue on the hearth (where a plumb bob from the center of the flue at ceiling height would be). (I may be wrong but looking at the drawing you made, I can't see the location of where the flue goes thru the ceiling.)

Do you want the measurement from the front of the stovepipe to the wall or the side of the stove pipe from the wall?

If you are talking about the side wall, then measure from the (middle of the) front of the pipe.

If you are talking about the back wall, then from (the middle of the) side of the pipe.