clearance problem!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spoolie25

Oct 18, 2017
north nj
i am installing a new stove and chimney. stove in in the basement my problem is i only have 2 and a half foot of clearance outside to get the pipe out and the bracket. when i mark everything up to get the clearance for the dvl pipe inside i am ok but when i go outside i am off my about 5 inches. do them make something i can put on the ceiling to allow me to be closer? my only other option is to dig a box outside about a foot and put blocks around it.

the dvl pipe needs 8 inch.. if i do the 8 inches inside i dont have enough room outside the home for the wall bracket. unless i dig a hole. do they make a heat shield that i can use in the ceiling to bring it closer?

DVL pipe needs 8" ceiling clearance minimum, more is even better. It sounds like you will need to create a well outside for the chimney pipe tee and chimney pipe. Make it generous and keep it clear of leaves in the fall.

Reactions: spoolie25
8" is the tested spec for ceiling clearance. DVL can get pretty hot in spite of it being double wall. You can add the cement board for more peace of mind, but it doesn't change the clearance requirement.

8" is the tested spec for ceiling clearance. DVL can get pretty hot in spite of it being double wall. You can add the cement board for more peace of mind, but it doesn't change the clearance requirement.
Wouldn't adding the cement board actually cause the need for more clearance? If the ceiling joists or sheet rock measures exactly 8ft from the ground and then you add a 1/2" cement board wouldn't the new measurement have to 7ft 11 1/2" from the ground (pipe exit even lower on the wall)

Wouldn't adding the cement board actually cause the need for more clearance? If the ceiling joists or sheet rock measures exactly 8ft from the ground and then you add a 1/2" cement board wouldn't the new measurement have to 7ft 11 1/2" from the ground (pipe exit even lower on the wall)
No adding cement board wouldnt change the distance to combustibles.

20180725_162247.jpg 20180725_162237.jpg 20180725_162219.jpg 20180725_162206.jpg

Food for thought. The block, well, fill and rock cost a few nickels. Not a huge amount. Really cleaned up the look in the end.

Last edited by a moderator: