Clearance reduction in an alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanubee

Nov 28, 2015
Northern Virginia
Hey folks! So this is my first post as I am officially a wood-stove owner (did away with a useless pre-fab wood burning fireplace). I have been scouring this forum for about a week now - there's so much information, and so many awesome and inspiring set ups!

I'm trying to fit a Vogelzang Ponderosa into an alcove that would exactly meet the minimum reduced clearances (12" from drywall to stove per NFPA 211 (2013)) if I were to place 24 gauge sheet metal with 1-in gaps on top and bottom and 1-in air ventilation. I'm super meticulous about this project and was a bit uncertain given the ambiguous language in the manual (in red):

"The clearances provided are minimum dimensions set by US standard UL 1482-2011 & ULC-S627-00... Installation of this stove must comply with the latest edition of NFPA 211 (US)/CAN/CSA-B365 (CDN) for reduced clearances and/or your local building code rulings. Use whichever minimum dimensions are LARGEST.

Clearances listed and shows MUST be adhered to for safe operation of this appliance. CLEARANCES MAY NOT BE REDUCED BY ANY MEANS IN USA OR CANADA."

So I sought clarification with Vogelzang... I actually called twice and spoke to 2 different people, and got 2 different answers which just fuels the uncertainty. :rolleyes:

1 person said that the clearances in the manual (which only gives clearances from combustible surfaces) must be adhered to even if I put non-combustible surfaces in front of them.

The other rep directed me to NFPA 211's reduced clearances table, and told me that if I added the sheet metal to the walls and ceilings (following the gauge and air vents), that the clearance from my drywall to the stove could be reduced to 12" ...

I'm curious as to what fellow and seasoned wood-stove owners think... My father says I'm overreacting and that how we want to set it up should be fine. Currently, with the wood-stove placed and "centered" in the alcove, clearance between the stove and sidewalls measure 12". Clearance between ceiling and top of stove would measure roughly 50". Lookin' forward to hearing from yall!

12" is the minimum specified in the NFPA 211 table for side and back. The stove requires generous clearance to the stove top - 58" or 8ft from floor to ceiling. A ventilated ceiling protector may work, but that is up to the local inspecting authority. Have you already bought the stove? If not there are some with easier clearances to work with. What is the current width, depth and height of the alcove?

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 5.04.56 PM.png

12" is the minimum specified in the NFPA 211 table for side and back. The stove requires generous clearance to the stove top - 58" or 8ft from floor to ceiling. A ventilated ceiling protector may work, but that is up to the local inspecting authority. Have you already bought the stove? If not there are some with easier clearances to work with. What is the current width, depth and height of the alcove?

View attachment 168513

Thanks begreen! We already have the stove. <> The family room ceiling-floor measures 8ft, but the alcove ceiling is 7ft. However, with a ceiling protector, I could technically reduce the alcove-ceiling to stove distance by 50% or 3.5 ft, right? The width x depth of the alcove is 48" x 28", so the stove would be jutting out of the alcove a good bit.

It sounds reasonable but the final say is up to the local inspecting authority.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried placing tiles/line of bricks in front of a sheet metal heat shield mounted to a combustible wall?

The tile thinset mortar will not bond to metal. Use cement board.

Status
Not open for further replies.