Close up air control when not in use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnbayslee

Nov 20, 2021
Northeast US
I've just purchased a Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 stove to mount inside the hearth of my historic woodburning fireplace. The fireplace itself was built without a damper, and one of the reasons we were attracted to stoves was the ability to close the system via the air control when not in used. However, I've begun to question this assumption after discovering some add-ons like the Duravent flex adapter with damper built in.

If we would like to prevent cold air from outside coming down our chimney when the stove is not in use, will simply closing the air control on the stove suffice? Or should we purchase a damper to go with it as well?

I've just purchased a Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 stove to mount inside the hearth of my historic woodburning fireplace. The fireplace itself was built without a damper, and one of the reasons we were attracted to stoves was the ability to close the system via the air control when not in used. However, I've begun to question this assumption after discovering some add-ons like the Duravent flex adapter with damper built in.

If we would like to prevent cold air from outside coming down our chimney when the stove is not in use, will simply closing the air control on the stove suffice? Or should we purchase a damper to go with it as well?
The air intake will not close completely. But neither will a damper. If installed correctly the amount of air leaking through will be minimal.

Reactions: johnbayslee
A properly insulated and sealed block off plate is really all that’s needed. (And probably an insulated liner).

My Summit makes a low fog horn noise on windy days when it isn't running and the primary air control is turned down all the way. It would be interesting to know if the T4 makes a similar but higher-pitched noise :).

Reactions: moresnow
My Summit makes a low fog horn noise on windy days when it isn't running and the primary air control is turned down all the way. It would be interesting to know if the T4 makes a similar but higher-pitched noise :).

With the right set of stoves you could make music.