CO Monitors, PLEASE READ!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the comments here on this forum, Seems to me a flip of the coin is the best answer that has come up.
Let me explain some of what I mean; it was stated that CO gas deaths are rare when it come to wood-stoves but yet many here have had their CO alarms go off for many different reasons. (myself also)

Quote.... "but never once have I run across a CO issue due to the woodstove . . . not saying that it could not happen just figure it is pretty rare and low on the Firefighter Jake Fire Safety Risk-o-Meter . . ."

Quote...."Yes, CO is formed all throughout the burn cycle, but it will usually signal it's presence at other times by filling the room with the accompanying smoke. It's only my opinion, but I feel that the late coaling stage is the most dangerous because the smoke has largely disappeared and the flue temps are low enough that spillage is possible. CO is odorless, so without smoke to alert you, you really need a CO detector to give the warning that may save your life. Plus, folks seem a bit cavalier at the end of the burn. Many here have reported burning down coals with the door open. The very low flue temps at this time can drastically increase the chance of a flue reversal, which would spill out CO gas without your awareness of its presence.

I know I don't explain ides as clearly as others here on this forum my point being there are always two sides to the story.
I also have had my CO alarm go off recently and believe me it scared the *#&! out of me at 3:30 in the morning! My stove had the remains of a fire in it (just coals ans ashes) and the wind direction was causing a downdraft into the stove and pushing CO into the house. At least this is the only answer I can come up with. Funny thing was the downstairs CO alarm (15 ft. away from stove) never sounded but the upstairs one did.

I'm a believer in smoke alarms, CO alarms and extinguishers. Everyone should have a minimum of one, preferably one in each bedroom.
This rant is just my two cents worth......:)

on a recent gas stove install/inspection the county inspector spent longer checking out smoke and CO detectors than he did looking at our install!
only reason he didn't give us a pass was lack of a smoke detector in one bedroom

About the comments here on this forum...

This conversation took place 2 years ago. I'm going to close this thread. If you wanna talk about CO monitors, you can start a new thread. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.