Coal bed size on reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
ok Learning a lot on this Thread. Quick Question. Sometimes in the AM on a Reload. I have what would appear to be Lump Charcoal along the side of my insert. Is that due to the wood having too much moisture content or something else. I would assume after an all night burn, that all of the moisture would be gone. Also, my Cat Insert has the air intake bottom center. Has airwash at top too. Where would be the best place to rake the coals. I've been spreading them, it seems from this thread that I should concentrate them in one spot.

Sometimes I will get a chunk or two of charcoal that didn't burn. This is only when I have set the air to all the way closed for the overnight burn and that side of the firebox was not hot enough for some reason to sustain combustion. Usually, this will be during mild weather heating. It's not an issue when I am pushing the stove harder for winter heat.

Sometimes I will get a chunk or two of charcoal that didn't burn. This is only when I have set the air to all the way closed for the overnight burn and that side of the firebox was not hot enough for some reason to sustain combustion. Usually, this will be during mild weather heating. It's not an issue when I am pushing the stove harder for winter heat.
OK that makes sense. It is always along the sides. I also think maybe the ash from the top splits might be insulating it.

No pictures at the moment, but my coal bed is usually about 4-6" thick in a 20+" square firebox. (5 cu ft)
We had dinner tonight and opened presents and forgot about the fire for a while. The thick coal bed kept the house warm and we still had a few inches left when we loaded the stove. I can open the bottom door (under grate) and forge steel with the coals if needed, and have melted the grate several times. Having an air supply under the grate is amazing when you really want more heat or need to get a fire going in just a few minutes.

There is nothing wrong with a thick coal bed as long as you still have room for wood. I try to have a good 6 inches before bed because it keeps the house warm for several hours after the wood is gone.