Coastal Premium vs Golden Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dlstech

Jan 16, 2015
OR
I normally buy Cascade from Costco but missed it this year and they’re not sure when they’ll get more. I saw Coastal is having a sale starting on 10/2 and went to check out what they have. They have their own brand(which I’ve heard is made by Pacific coast pellets but could not confirm that since there was no info on the bags), Bear Mountain, and Golden Fire. I didn’t have a good experience with bear mountain a few years back so it’s between a Coastal and Golden for me.

I noticed the paper signs in the store called Caostal a softwood pellet and Golden a hardwood pellet. But both bags themselves 100% Douglas Fir on them. Is soft vs hard a term for how they’re manufactured or is it just a mistake with the store labels?

UPDATE: I just heard back from PCP. They do make the Coastal pellets and they are the same exact as the Cascade brand I bought from Costco in the past. At $205 a ton, I’ll be buying those.