cold coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple man

Burning Hunk
my coals in my wood stove are not burning completly they are jest going black and going cold how do i get them to burn completly

maple man said:
my coals in my wood stove are not burning completly they are jest going black and going cold how do i get them to burn completly

more air i would thinks

i have this problem sometimes when i have too much ash in the stove aswell.

With what kind of wood? If black cherry, can't be helped- nature of the stuff.

More air and drier wood....

Air is #1.
If I only use one or two splits I find they are more likely to have dead coals than if I use 3 or 4 fairly close together.
Also, my outside edge pieces have a 50/50 chance of not burning completely.

To help burn down the coals, just before the wood totally reaches the all coal stage, we turn the draft to full open. This will burn the coals down to a manageable level. However, if your wood is not dry, you can expect to have an excess of coals. Sometimes adding a few pieces of kindling on top of the coals while running the draft full open will help as might a very small split.

Are you running a blower on the stove? If so try burning without it or turn it down real low. The blower pulls cool air under the stove and cools the firebox floor in the late stages of the burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.