Cold stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
My thoughts and warmth go out to you in the ice choked and snow bound places around the planet.

My stoves have been "down" for the better part of a week. It's in the 60's now in the mountains of NC. Cold weather will return soon enough. In the mean time, I can break up some good oak stumps I've been saving for Christmas burns.

Stay warm ya'll.

Merry Christmas too.

Not stumps, but "rounds", basically about 14-18 inches across. I've had them covered for better part of a 8 months, and they've been "down" and cut 18 months.

A good whack with a 12lb. maul, they're stove ready quick. Small stuff to the Intrepid, bigger chunks to the Resolute.

bmwloco, to do yourself a big favor, from now on get those logs split as soon as possible. They will not season as quickly nor as good in the round but will season quite fast once they are split. Splitting is one of the big keys to getting good seasoned wood.

Now, we'll do our best to send you a white Christmas and the cold to go along with it.

The "rounds" are all gone, and all burned very well in the Resolute. All the oak and locust I have is now 2 to 3 years old.

Plans are to start gathering more wood in March to have enough for next year. I'm rotating through my stack. So far, so good.

60F here today. No stove's up tonight, but it's dropping down into the teens Sunday as the high pressure system is moving and now cold air that's been hammering the rest of the country will move in. The ski resorts will be happy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.