Cold weather needed to haul wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
I've had wood to haul from last spring and early summer but the summer and fall were too wet to get to it. I'm thankful for neighbors who don't burn wood and allow me to use dead and downed trees. Friends on the neighboring farm allow me to use their dump truck to haul the wood which is a huge help. After getting stuck a few weeks ago, I took advantage of the freezing temperatures to haul wood Thursday morning. I was able to haul four and a half loads before things got too soft and muddy. Most of it is wild cherry. There were some small locust trees.

IMG_20181228_113547190.jpg IMG_20181228_113610441.jpg

I feel your pain.

I've negotiated access to a poperty nearby with hundreds of standing dead ash trees on it. I cant get a single twig out of there until it freezes. Last time I was there the road was slop up the the tractor axles and nearly got hung up 3 or 4 times.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: heavy hammer
Yep, I'm done cutting until the ground freezes.

Same here in southern WI. The frost has been in and out of the ground three times already! I don't dare take the tractor and trailer on that - it will tear things up big time.

This is the fourth year in a row I’ve had serious issues getting wood out. We have not had a good hard freeze since the winter of 13-14.

Wet falls and wetter springs are becoming more the normal anymore. It was the first week of December before we got enough frost, 2”, to get the last of the corn off. It’s creating a mess.

Got my truck stuck in my neighbors lawn yesterday. Tore it all up getting it out. No more until it freezes.

It's bad just the opposite sometimes here when I think the frost is out, and fields dry enough to prevent ruts, yet the woods is still just warming and thawing and still very saturated. Only once - drove across the bean field to get to the woods, only to find out (to late) that the woods was soft as hl.

Im in the same situation here, normally this time of year im in the back woods cutting things up and taking them out with the tractor, this year Im afraid to step off the pavement because its so soft, knowing my luck we'll get a freeze but also 2 ft of snow, cant win here, but it is what it is.

Reactions: heavy hammer
More rain today...

Most tractor owners seem like they are in the same boat just waiting for some frozen ground. Not that getting a tractor muddy is a bad thing, but just makes the whole process of cutting splitting stacking hauling much easier if not working in six plus inches of mud. I have so much wood to move but until we get a freeze or 75 and sun and dry looks like it will sit not worth destroying the yard, I did it once and it's just not worth it.

I have so much wood to move but until we get a freeze or 75 and sun and dry looks like it will sit not worth destroying the yard, I did it once and it's just not worth it.
^This^

Reactions: jaoneill
Another inch last night with lightning. More on the way by weekend. When will it stop? Was 63 this morning. Crazy!

It's been an interesting winter, I worked storm last night, started the day in the 30's, hit the low 60's late last night I believe, then left the garage to go home back in the 30's. The wind and rain just won't let up.

Same here in southern WI. The frost has been in and out of the ground three times already! I don't dare take the tractor and trailer on that - it will tear things up big time.

yep, same here over near the Dells. I have a couple areas I need to be froze before I can drive a loaded ATV trailer over it. One is on our side of a bridge crossing a creek. The other is a 15-20' area of open water I need to cross. I can do it, but pulling a loaded ATV trailer through it will make a mess in short order.

Looks like we will have a couple days of cooler weather, but then right back up to 40° again. WTF.

Got my truck stuck in my neighbors lawn yesterday. Tore it all up getting it out. No more until it freezes.
Why were you driving on the neighbors lawn?

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Why were you driving on the neighbors lawn?

It’s the best way to access my splitting area. I have permission to use it, at least for now lol. It’s more of an access way to rear properties and we all drive on it regularly.

I have the same problem just getting to my stacks 100 feet away from the house.....real bummer

Mid 40's and rain every two days for the next week here. More and more looks like will be mo real Winter here this year. At least probably till March:p.

For those that are not enjoying a hard freeze, I'll send you some ice. Snowfall has been subpar this season but no shortage of ice. The ice in the pics is at minimum 2" thick.

Attachments

• DSCN0068.JPG
    DSCN0068.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN0069.JPG
    DSCN0069.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 188
  • untitled13.png
    untitled13.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
I'll pass on the ice, but take you up on the offer for snow.

My throttle thumb is beginning to feel the itch . . .

For those that are not enjoying a hard freeze, I'll send you some ice. Snowfall has been subpar this season but no shortage of ice. The ice in the pics is at minimum 2" thick.

Really got a kick out of the "Free Snow" picture!!!

Weather continues to be "strange" here in WI. We've got the "Winter Wonderland" thing going as of yesterday, but under that 3"-4" of snow is unfrozen ground - no wood hauling on that. Then by the weekend they are forecasting mid-40's. Hmmmmm ....
20190101_162339.jpg

Reactions: EODMSgt

Bring your trailer, you can have all the snow you want. I'm already maxed out on some snowbanks for the height the tractor will reach so I just keep pushing them back.

Even with grooming the trails are still icy and bumpy but it's better than nothing.

Attachments

• 5e649086bae307de2b31edece9dc40db.jpg
    5e649086bae307de2b31edece9dc40db.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 98

You dont have snow where you are? You should get 3-4 inches tomorrow.

You dont have snow where you are? You should get 3-4 inches tomorrow.

We've got maybe 3-4 inches right now . . . western Maine and northern Maine is doing better for snow.

Need more snow for local riding.

If it doesn't come soon I may have to trailer to Millinocket or points north.