Coldest air of the season on its way in central Jersey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitter9

Oct 10, 2013
central jersey
Couldnt have happened at a better time. Fireplaces of America called me today and said they are coming over tomorrow to install my brand new Lopi Freedom insert and full s/s liner.
I had my farewell fire in my open fireplace last nite. Not sure if im going to miss it. Lots of beers drank and stories told in front of that old fireplace over the years. IMG_0694.jpg

You are going to love it!

Beers will still be drank and stories told. ;)

I have my new insert burning now and honestly, don't know what the hell I'm doing. :p Don't know how much wood to load, don't know how or when to cut the air, don't trust the stupid magnetic therm. I put on top of stove, can't find my husbands IR and he's not home....etc etc etc.

I'll figure it out I guess.

I'll figure it out I guess.

And when you do, you won't believe you ever put up w/ the open fireplace as long as you did!

I look forward to the OP sharing some pics as the install comes along and learns what it takes to make it do its job!

pen

Reactions: Firedancer
And when you do, you won't believe you ever put up w/ the open fireplace as long as you did!

I hope I won't believe I ever thought this was hard lol. I'm learning the whole insert thing. :) Too worried about it running away from me.

Get on youtube and look at some stoves burning. You'll get a good vantage point quickly of whether the people showing things off know what they are talking about or not, and what a good fire that is under control looks like.

In general, you'll notice smooth, lazy, yet decent flames when things are going well. If it looks like you'd envision a crematorium, you are testing the high end of things!

It's only gonna get better from here my man..... The beer will taste better and the stories funnier......

Cant get out of work today. the wife will be home to watch the install. looking forward to my first fire tonight.
After reading all the info from this site, i think i will do all right with it.
Anybody have any info for my first break in fire????

Make sure you post some pics....
Newspaper, fire starter, kindling, small splits, 1 or 2 medium splits....
Light it up keep the air open all the way, don't add any more wood, let it burn out..... Repeat tomorrow night with just a little more wood, do that three nights in a row, the fourth you should be able to reload it and keep it going all night... But read your manual and follow that advice if it differs from mine. You should be able to read that manual online while at work if you have the capabilities.... Good luck and have fun....

Should I leave the bypass damper all the way open the whole time???

My insert produces the most heat when open, so often I am running it more open then not. I say probably yes during the break in fires, they will only last maybe 2 hours, the idea of break in fire is to get the unit hot so the fire bricks cure or dry out. Once you start reloading the unit then you can play around with the damper. Every insert in every house will always produce different results, you will have to find out for yourself, but reading the manual is the way to go. Then you will have a learning curve ahead of you for the next few weeks....

Recently did my break in fire in my new insert. My manual reads that the stove should be warm to the touch throughout the process. Don't get it too hot to where you can't touch the insert.

Watching the flames thru an insert as opposed to an open fireplace I'm finding I like it much better. :) Good luck and enjoy your new insert!

As long as you don't reload, I don't think it will get too hot. The break in fire need to do its job. My insert is all glass and surround, my surround doesn't get hot, so like I said, they are all different, so follow the manual, you'll be fine....

Status
Not open for further replies.