Coldest part of the winter is over - supposedly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
According to the local weather guesser, the "on average" coldest week of the winter was last week. We should start to be warmer "on average" here after. I hope so. The last two weeks have been brutally cold here especially with the wind chill factor. We burned 24-7 for 3 days in a row. That's the first time that has happened in the 65 years we've lived here. One night we hit -4 which was the coldest night in over a decade. That was part of a 4 day run with highs in the teens and over a week well below freezing. That just doesn't happen around here. But thru it all, house stayed in the mid to upper 70's. So sweet.

Yep, we should be at the halfway point and temps should very gradually start to go up... I'm ready for some warmer weather!

Here, here! Still working to seal our home up ($$$ x TIME) and the warmer temps definitely help. Here's to the worst behind us! [fingers crossed]

We go up to the low fifties supposedly tomorrow afternoon and then Saturday it starts to fall off a cliff again as the next Arctic blast rolls through here.

Not here! Another Arctic blast on the way tomorrow. Looks like below zero for the weekend.

Funny how 20 feels warm now in Wisconsin. Brother Bart, high 50's would be a gift for us here! I won't complain because I have seen N of 60's weather. I bet people live longer there...they age slower cause their blood barely flows!!! :lol: The only problem is warm up is a real pain!!!

I'm with you Todd. 25 today, 35 tomorrow. Weekend in the singles. However February is historically 2 degrees warmer than January on average. BIG DEAL. At least it's not snowing :)

Yes, I hope the worst is over, 32 today, 34 tomorrow and teens for highs this weekend. Last week with a couple -17 days not including wind chill really tested pipes, batteries, and wood stoves.

man, your temps that your posting hre make me really envious..Was supposed to possibly reach 30 here today, never got above 23, might get to 25 tomorow and then back down below zero sat and sunday...next week looks like it is gonna average out some more, at least I dont see any subzero temps!

Our average temperature does not start to rise just yet, but when it does, it is only 1 degree at a time. Once the average temperature starts rising, it is very, very slow until May and June. Same as in fall when it starts going down, it goes down slow until December and January.

You still had best have at least half of your wood pile left.

We are supposed to go down to 1 degree again this weekend, and I'm more or less out of wood. 2 pipes busted over the last cold snap. I'm running on hope.

51° here right now. I let the stove burn down this morning and it's been idle all day. It was nice to be able to clean it out real well and make a few adjustments.
Gonna look down the chimney tomorrow, supposed to have the same temps. I'm sure we'll get a few more doses of cold weather though. Low teens sat and sun night. My burning should start to wind down about the second week of March.

I don't envy any of Ya'll with the cold weather. I had to ride the bike for a couple of hours today since it got to 78.

I cant complain a bit this year.
We have had awesome weather so far.
A few cold days but nothing like the last couple winters.
I know we are not even close to fly fishing season
you never know up here, ive seen it snow here in June.
Its ok we have plenty of good wood ready to burn.

Brad

I heard that Lake Erie is finally frozen so we shouldn't get any more Lake Effect snowstorms. They can only come from that big lake called the Atlantic now.

We're supposed to be back in the negatives this weekend.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.