collar to stove pipe gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I suspect your smoke smell comes once the damper is set because the turbulence in the pipe creates a rolling motion fooling the smoke into thinking the draft has been reduced.
As far as the pipe gap, the single wall reducer that you have is prob sufficient without stove cement if you can get screws into the flue collar to pull the reducer tighter to it.

I suspect your smoke smell comes once the damper is set because the turbulence in the pipe creates a rolling motion fooling the smoke into thinking the draft has been reduced.
As far as the pipe gap, the single wall reducer that you have is prob sufficient without stove cement if you can get screws into the flue collar to pull the reducer tighter to it.
Do you know if there is a stove cement with a high enough temperature rating that won't disintegrate? I have 500° which is NOT sufficient.

Do you know if there is a stove cement with a high enough temperature rating that won't disintegrate? I have 500° which is NOT sufficient.
No because cement is not designed to fill in the hole like that, it will keep breaking off due to expansion and contraction from heating and cooling, if the gap is to big after you clean off the fitting 100% you can try and wrap the end of the pipe with flat gasket and then re-install it into the flue collar, trim off excess with a sharp razor knife for aesthetics.

Last edited:
No because cement is not designed to fill in the hole like that, it will keep breaking off due to expansion and contraction from heating and cooling, if the gap is to big after you clean off the fitting 100% you can try and wrap the end of the pipe with flat gasket and then re-install it into the flue collar, trim off excess with a sharp razor knife for aesthetics.
There's a gasket that will hold up to that level of heat!? I tried using the white, braided door gasket but, as the fire got hotter, I began smelling it...got concerned & removed it.

The gap doesn't look very large. Try a wrap of a flat gasket like stove door glass gasket.

Reactions: Earlnemo
There's a gasket that will hold up to that level of heat!? I tried using the white, braided door gasket but, as the fire got hotter, I began smelling it...got concerned & removed it.
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I have the exact same one...

It depends on how large the gap is. In some cases, 1/16" or 1/8" flat ceramic tape will work. For a larger gap 1/4" rope gasket may be better.