Combination boiler and stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattEffinCameron

Nov 1, 2022
new england
Assuming that a boiler is something that sits in the basement (or outdoors) and generates heat and then transmits the heat into the dwelling somehow.... Well the stove sits in the dwelling in simply radiates heat outward...

Is there such a thing as a combination boiler and stove? If not, why not?

I basically thinking of a wood stove with some kind of attachment on the side back or bottom that gives it some of the properties of a boiler.

Maybe there's a blower box that instead of trying to circulate the radiating heat off of the stove into the room the stove is in, it blows it into a duct which allows it to be blown as hot forced air into another room. Or maybe there is a hot water hookup so that water can flow through pipes which are attached to the bottom or back of the stove heating the water and allowing it to heat another room through baseboard hot water or even radiant heating in a floor.

All of the above have been done at one point or another with stoves. Boiler backs are more popular in Europe where hot water heating is more common. A wood stove with a ducted plenum is a furnace. There are wood furnaces on the market today that have a nice glass door for viewing while heating. Modern code has restricted these applications on standard stoves due to the failures of homebrewed solutions. This is definitely an area where a little knowledge can be deadly.

There are also zero clearance fireplaces with remote ductwork available

Your definition of a boiler wasn't really clear but I know the Nectre Bakers Oven can come with a water jacket that replaces the rear fire brick and plumbs out the rear of the unit for convective hot water heating.

Yup Nectre Baking Oven is one : https://flameauthority.com/products...urning-oven-fireplace-n350w-with-water-jacket

There are a few others and pondered this for a spell as we have baseboard hydronic heat up here in ME. Very popular way of heating up this ways and ideally if I was going to use this type of heat on a new house, I would build a masonry heater and have the water heated in the back of it. But alas this house is not meant to be that way and I did not want to spend for the Nectre plus replumbing and all.

People geneally think of a boiler as a unit that heats water to circulate to heat a house and also to heat the house’s domestic water. In Europe we see stoves, wood, coal, peat used as a boilers this way. In this this country if a stove, more likely a cookstove, is set up with of coil, jacket etc. to heat water it is usually set up for just domestic hot water. They can provide cooking, radiant heat and a boiler function. Then there are cookstoves with side tanks where water is drawn off directly either dipped or from a spigot. I think I can safely say at least some of begreen’s caution, as far as stoves used a boilers, comes from the intense pressure that can build in an improperly designed or built system. Deadly explosions have been the result.