Completely out of dry wood. Lower level is cold, heat pump is sucking the electricity.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildbilljp

Nov 30, 2018
Ky
Been out of dry wood for about a week now. Got used to having the Princess running 24/7. Started out with 50 packs of Eco-Bricks and about 1/2 cord of red oak. Fired her up Feb 3rd and run most of the days except for a few 60 degree days and one 70 degree day there in the middle of Feb. - yep, sure enough.
We will be ready for next year though.....
No electric bill yet but I expect a much lower bill as our heat pump rarely came on while running the insert.
No regrets on the BK so far.......

How much you got cut and split so far? Looks like you burnt perhaps 3/4 cord equivalent. By my research, 50 packs of Eco Bricks is about 1/4 cord of oak. So your total use is over a 5 week period. Do you figure that 2 cords per year will be sufficient for a full season?

Reactions: Wildbilljp
Spudman99, I'd say that sounds about right. we were on a three load cycle so yea, about 3/4 - 1 full cord.???? Ayway, I'd bet I have at least 2 cord right now plus I have another cord to split. Now, I will be hounding Rural King for more of the Eco-Bricks next season as those things are pretty easy to use and this year they were $2.17 per pack of 6 so at that price it's hard to compare to the work put into cutting, splitting and stacking. Oh yea, finally got an electric bill. $211.00 compared to $397.00 last month so I'm happy with that.

I am not out but with 3' of snow on the ground and my primary wood shed empty and my stacks covered its a PITA to grab the wood out of the stack without dealing with the 3' of snow on top of the cover. Its a big game of Jenga with non uniform blocks, take too many an it all comes crashing down. The mini split definitely is stepping up but its not the same quality heat.

Reactions: Wildbilljp