Complicating issues with Pelpro PPC90 external thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PelPro PPC90

Nov 18, 2021
So I just successfully installed a Honeywell ct30 .. 2 wire manual thermostat to my pelpro ppc90. Once the wires were all hooked up correctly I changed the setting on the LCD screen from internal to external thermostat. I was surprised when the LCD screen automatically changed to setting HI. I WAS NOT SURE WHAT THAT WAS FOR, SO I PRESSED THE DOWN BUTTON AND LO AND BEHOLD THERE ARE ACTUALLY FIVE HEAT SETTINGS WITHIN THE EXTERNAL THERMOSTAT ROUTINE. H, MH,M, ML,L
I quickly learned this has to do with the burn intensity once the stove comes on and heat is being called for by the thermostat. There is also a heat actuator that needs to be set inside the thermostat that essentially interplays with this heat setting on the stove. Of course, there is no mention of any of this at all in the owner's manual and I suspect that the pelpro employees didn't know it existed either. Anyway, this makes adjusting the set temperature and the heat actuator and the heat intensity level quite complicated because they all interplay with each other. Has anyone out there actually hooked up an external thermostat to this pelpro stove and what have they used for all of these various settings? Thanks !!
IMG_20220403_144832901.jpg

My experiences after 10 days of using this 2-wire external thermostat... Changing the actuator settings didn't seem to be doing anything at all. I talked to technical support at Honeywell and they more or less verified that. Surprisingly they said just move the actuator setting to the largest number possible which is 1.2. They said that probably the thermostat would override any actuator settings 100% of the time and the actuator actually would be rendered useless. That is where I have left it and actually everything works really really well! It is true, the actuator is probably not performing any function at all. However, I love the thermostat and the stove reacts very quickly to any changes in the thermostat setting and I can keep my room temperature fairly level all the time just where I want it. The best part is, I am using 1/2 or possibly only one third as many pellets now because of the way the stove automatically turns off and stays off until the thermostat calls for heat. I obviously was overheating the room where the stove is previously, just so I could direct heat to adjacent attached rooms. Instead, I actually moved the new thermostat into an adjacent dining room where I like to keep the daytime temperature around 66 or 67°. Is a possible. That works perfect and the room with the pellet stove in it is staying down in the upper 60s and low 70s.

Reactions: Jeremy6500