Concern about glass door shattering from heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ridgewood

Oct 21, 2018
Westchester, NY
I have a new F400 in my sunroom - and the corner of it is 12” from the nearest double pane glass door. The glass got up to 135 degrees measured with a laser thermometer (tho because its glass it might not be accurate). This was with the Stove at a high of 600-620 for about 2 hours.

I’m concerned that the heat of the glass, along with the cold differential outside, could cause the glass door to shatter. I live in lower NY where the temperature can get down to a low of 20 degrees (sometimes less) in the dead of winter.

Last edited:
Put a piece of tape on the window (black is best) and measure the temp of the tape. Then you will get a better measurement.

It's a reasonable concern, the F400 is highly radiant. I am assuming the stove has the rear heat shield, right? A heat shield could be setup between the glass door and the stove if this is a continuing concern.

It's a reasonable concern, the F400 is highly radiant. I am assuming the stove has the rear heat shield, right? A heat shield could be setup between the glass door and the stove if this is a continuing concern.

It does have a rear heats shield - however the I believe the glass is being heated from the corner of the F400 (closest to the door) as the stove is sitting in a corner and the rear has a lot of space behind it.

Just googled heat shields - depending on the heat test later - might be an option

Yes, now I see there is glass on both corner sides. A freestanding, winter heat shield in the corner might be worth it for peace of mind.

I have a new F400 in my sunroom - and the corner of it is 12” from the nearest double pane glass door. The glass got up to 135 degrees measured with a laser thermometer (tho because its glass it might not be accurate). This was with the Stove at a high of 600-620 for about 2 hours.

I’m concerned that the heat of the glass, along with the cold differential outside, could cause the glass door to shatter. I live in lower NY where the temperature can get down to a low of 20 degrees (sometimes less) in the dead of winter.
I would definitely be concerned. When i was a teenager i thought it would be cool to paint my window black. The sun cracked it. Someone I know also had a candle holder explode when cold window air hit the hot glass and it wasn't that close to the window. Even tempered or ceramic glass can't handle fast temp changes. And these windows are just regular glass.

Glass doors by law are tempered. Dont know if that matters for shattering.

Ran an experiment tonight

Stove
Start = 60 degrees in room
49 degrees out

2 min
loaded up - 4 pieces of wood
200 degrees

5 min
400 degrees stove

7 min
480 deg stove
/ 78 window
/ 62 room

10 min
Vent to low
500 deg
91 window
62 room

12 min to 18
Constant 550 heat
98 window
64 room

19 min
raised to low vent

25 min
590 degrees
121 window
67 room

35 min
690 degrees
147 window
70 room

36 min
Vent full low

42 min
650 stove
160 window
73 room

54 min
600 stove
173 window
74 room

55 min
Opened door to stop heat on glass
Ordered heat shield!!

Is this with the tape on the window so the IR gun reads correctly ?

Good plan. Our Castine was corner installed with twice the required corner clearance. The walls behind it were still too hot for my comfort.

Its how many degrees over ambient temp that matters for testing. Have to ask an engineer why.

I’ve read 90º over ambient. Our wall was testing close to that limit in spite of the increased clearance.

Last edited:
image.jpg

I had One of th side lights on my center cape window shatter on my own in the middle of the night. Low e window, broke inside pane only, on a very cold night. Window is in the stove room. Not facing, 90 deg to it and 25' away.

Movable [free-standing] heat shield. Fairly easy afternoon project once the materials are handy. Can be stored away during summer.