Condensation on outside air kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strangemainer

Sep 2, 2008
Waterboro, Maine
I noticed today that the OAK was wet. Looks like its sweating! Is this normal?
Hope this cannot hurt the stove!

Normal, I actually had frost on it about 2 inches in from the wall one cold snowy night. I wouldn't leave rags or anything near the stove to catch the drips, just wipe it up as necessary.

Edit: I just checked mine and it is wet as well.

strangemainer said:

Yes one of the bad issues with an oak. The air outside is much colder than inside. The oak should be lower than the inlet on the stove so it flows down and out.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
strangemainer said:

Yes one of the bad issues with an oak. The air outside is much colder than inside. The oak should be lower than the inlet on the stove so it flows down and out.

Eric

I never thought of that. Mine is a straight shot from wall to stove. I can't worry about it at this point. I can't make another hole in the wall when it's 6* outside and haven't had any issues that I know of.

kinsman stoves said:
strangemainer said:

Eric
Now ya tell me!
Glad to see it no problem....

Wrapped mine this past week, made sure there was a dip in the middle. No signs of rust yet in the inlet of stove, but I'll be watching.

I believe the new harman wall thimble kit is supposed to try and combat this problem. it draws air in from outside just above the exhaust pipe, swirls around inside the wall thimble, to try and heat it up some, and then into the stove. i have not had any problems with mine so far this year. although the dealer told me about that problem and that is why harman changed the design this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.