Conflicting Sabrina install opinions from local experts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don’t know how remote you are but my in laws live just of route 16. Back up heat during a power outage is pretty important to them. Do you have or are planning a generator or battery for the stove? I’m not a fan of the automatic standby generators as they are expensive to install and maintain and probably only ever need once every 50 years. But a manual transfer switch with a 3-6kw generator is an idea I like. Run the basics. Even a mini split.

Straight out the back will look the best in that space. Looks like it’s right next to a sliding door. Do you use it? Do you think the slab is insulated?

Just my thoughts.

Evan

Hello
I am not a fan of a Transfer Switch for a generator because they are expensive and limit which circuits the generator will power.
We got the circuit panel with a generator interlock so we can choose what the generator will power. Also just to be more careful, I added current meters so we do not overload the generator by accident since we got the more common 30 amp outlet for a more affordable generator rather than the 50 AMP setup. See pics and detail here:
At the time I had a little trouble finding some good current meters for a residential panel. My Electrician said if I find some he will install them so I did! LOL
See pics and detail here!

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
The pipe may be 4" then it has another pipe around it for air gap. Plus the inner and outer flange that is probably 8-10 inch...

That was my first thought. Even without considering anything else, 5” between the studs is not enough for the proper thimble to maintain clearance to combustibles. You’d have go straight up out the roof. Above that slider is more than likely a solid header.

Edit: I missed the part about the custom thimble. I would still go fully up outside so it doesn’t interfere with your slider door.

Thankfully it looks like that floor would be easy to clean up the mess. And you could open the slider door to take the mess directly outside.

Last edited:
When I did my install, I had to modify the thimble to get from the outside to the inside, was not long enough to overlap so I got a sheet of aluminum, cut it to fit and pop riveted it to the overlapping section. Issue solved.

Reactions: Don2222