Confounding Jotul GF370 Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Riverrock

Dec 9, 2022
Hi, I have several Jotul gas stoves in my own house and at rental properties. I mostly love them but recently I am utterly stumped by a remote control problem and can't find any real customer support from the dealers or Jotul directly. I have a GF370 DV II converted to LP. We have always operated it by remote, and I never knew how to turn it on manually. The remote is a Proflame II. Or it was until my dog ate it. Sigh. So I bought a new Proflame II remote for some $70 bucks, and I cannot for the life of me sync it to the stove. I've just about memorized the manual and watched dozens of Youtube videos. None have solve my problem. I get that the usual process is to find the receiver and push a button that then makes 3 beeps and then you push a button on the remote and they make friends and talk. And then your house gets warm. Alas, on this particular Jotul stove the receiver is (in the words of the manual) "integrated with the IFC board which is located within the valve compartment." Okay, cool. So no separate receiver. Then the manual says this about syncing or "initializing" the system: "1. Grasp the bottom of the Front Panel and swing it open to the left. Switch the Burner to OFF. 2. Install three AAA batteries into the hand-held Transmitter. 3. Press the black (or red) button on the left front corner of the IFC board, next to the controls switch plate. The board will “beep” three times and a yellow LED indicates a 10-second synchronization time limit. 4. Within the 10-second time frame, push the ON button on the Transmitter. The IFC will “beep” four times to indicate that it has acknowledged the transmitter command and sets to the particular code of that Transmitter. 5. After initialization, the burner switch must be placed in the ON position and Pilot Mode switch placed in CPI. The remote can then be used to control the burner. To return to full Manual functionality, hold the red or black initialization button down until it “beeps” three or four times and the yellow LED illuminates. Within 10 seconds, push the button again until it signals the acknowledgement." Even that sounds fairly straightforward except for one key thing. THERE IS NO RED OR BLACK (or any color) BUTTON! Not near the switch plate or anywhere else. The manual doesn't show it on any diagram and I can't find it in my stove. This has got to be a known issue and someone familiar with this stove must know what to do! Please help! If I can, I will attach a photo of what my stove's innards look like. Maybe the conversion to LP hid the button? I know, I'm grasping at straws. But it's cold in here and I can't think straight. All batteries are fresh and the gas is on. Stove worked fine before my pup ran out of other things to teethe on. Sorry this is such a long shaggy dog story, but if I don't tell you everything you'd tell me to push the button on the receiver. Many thanks for an answer!!

IMG_1876.jpg

You need to locate the re
Hi, I have several Jotul gas stoves in my own house and at rental properties. I mostly love them but recently I am utterly stumped by a remote control problem and can't find any real customer support from the dealers or Jotul directly. I have a GF370 DV II converted to LP. We have always operated it by remote, and I never knew how to turn it on manually. The remote is a Proflame II. Or it was until my dog ate it. Sigh. So I bought a new Proflame II remote for some $70 bucks, and I cannot for the life of me sync it to the stove. I've just about memorized the manual and watched dozens of Youtube videos. None have solve my problem. I get that the usual process is to find the receiver and push a button that then makes 3 beeps and then you push a button on the remote and they make friends and talk. And then your house gets warm. Alas, on this particular Jotul stove the receiver is (in the words of the manual) "integrated with the IFC board which is located within the valve compartment." Okay, cool. So no separate receiver. Then the manual says this about syncing or "initializing" the system: "1. Grasp the bottom of the Front Panel and swing it open to the left. Switch the Burner to OFF. 2. Install three AAA batteries into the hand-held Transmitter. 3. Press the black (or red) button on the left front corner of the IFC board, next to the controls switch plate. The board will “beep” three times and a yellow LED indicates a 10-second synchronization time limit. 4. Within the 10-second time frame, push the ON button on the Transmitter. The IFC will “beep” four times to indicate that it has acknowledged the transmitter command and sets to the particular code of that Transmitter. 5. After initialization, the burner switch must be placed in the ON position and Pilot Mode switch placed in CPI. The remote can then be used to control the burner. To return to full Manual functionality, hold the red or black initialization button down until it “beeps” three or four times and the yellow LED illuminates. Within 10 seconds, push the button again until it signals the acknowledgement." Even that sounds fairly straightforward except for one key thing. THERE IS NO RED OR BLACK (or any color) BUTTON! Not near the switch plate or anywhere else. The manual doesn't show it on any diagram and I can't find it in my stove. This has got to be a known issue and someone familiar with this stove must know what to do! Please help! If I can, I will attach a photo of what my stove's innards look like. Maybe the conversion to LP hid the button? I know, I'm grasping at straws. But it's cold in here and I can't think straight. All batteries are fresh and the gas is on. Stove worked fine before my pup ran out of other things to teethe on. Sorry this is such a long shaggy dog story, but if I don't tell you everything you'd tell me to push the button on the receiver. Many thanks for an answer!!

View attachment 304893
You need to locate your receiver unit...That's where the "magic" button is...
1670622681444.png

Thanks, Bob. I get that. Hoping someone who knows this stove can help me find it. And, as i mentioned, the receiver is integrated into the IFC board in this model, so no idea what it looks like. So yeah, I need to find the receiver and button. 🤯 Anyone know where it is??? I have crawled under this stove and swallowed a good amount of dust looking for it.

I have no idea but would have guessed it might be behind that revision 05 label. If that's not it, I think your best option is to trace wires back. From the wiring diagram it looks like most all the wires end up back at the IFC board. If you can get to the wires that attach to the burner switch in your picture, they go directly to the board.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lennox65
According to this page from a manual, the IFC reset button is indeed hidden behind that revision label. Upper left corner.

Attachments

• e55cfd82-23c1-4565-81f2-c824ce637ba0.pdf
    371.7 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: 49er
OMG! 49-er & Lennox65, I am forever in your debt! It was not behind the label, but close. The box with the Revision label is mostly a closed box with a closed top, but the far left side the box is open at the top and just inside the front "wall" of that box, too close to the wall to see it from any angle, there is --wait for it--a tiny red button! I cannot tell you how happy I am to have found it with your help! I am ever so grateful for the kindness of strangers and for a warm house. You rock! May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind be always at your back! Thanks so much and happy holidays! (And shame on Jotul for lame diagrams and missing instructions, to say nothing of almost no US customer support!)